Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series 1600 - Max revs

SMH

New to the club. So apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question. Just acquired a 97 Super Seven with the K Series 1.6. Using for track days, but unsure as to what the safe max rev range would be? Any advice gratefully received?

Thanks

Hi,

Its a Superlight which has a 1.6L River K Series engine. It has had a few Mods however. 

1. QED upgrade Kit - Current equivalent is the Fast Road Kit (http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/pricelists/) which means better cam, air intakes/throttle bodies etc

2. Dry sump. basically stops oil welling to one side or the other during fast cornering & causing oil starvation

3. Lightened flywheel (I think)

4. New engine management system.

Its been tested to produce 156 bhp 

Based in Hampshire.

Best

I would have thought that when the mods were done the rev limiter would have been set correctly by the person doing the mods - in which case a one-off quick run up in say second gear* will find the answer, so long as you don't push it to anything silly.

* at your own risk!

With nearly 100bhp per litre, I suspect that your peak power will be north of 7000rpm. I'd be surprised if there is no rev limiter at all. What engine management system do you use? If you want to be safe with standard pistons, follow Dave's advice on your Pistonheads thread and stick to the low 7000rpm range.