Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacing De-Dion & A frame

Michael Downing

I'm thinking of replacing the De Dion tube and the A-frame, as a precaution after 3 and a bit seasons of racing.  Being a typical lazy git, I was wondering if it was possible to do this without dismantling the wheel hubs?  Has anyone tried that?

With my sensible head on, I reckon it isn't possible - once the De Dion is out then the driveshafts will fall out of the diff and make a huge mess, and the brake pipes will probably rupture and add to the mess.  Then it will take ages to sort out and I won't have the car back together in time for Silverstone on the 13/th/14th.

There is a little bit of me, though, that says you can support the hubs, release the brake pipes from the tube, undo the bolts carefully to release the De Dion from the ears (etc), then lift it and slide out carefully.  Replacement is then the reverse of disassembly, as they say, and hey presto job done in a third of the time *coffee*

Has anyone tried this?

Yes you certainly can do it, I recently stripped down the back end and as I wasn't sure at the time that the driveshafts were a simple pull out push in job at the diff end I tied some ratchet straps round the calipers and hung them off the top shock bolts while I took the de Dion out. For a while I just left them hanging. However once I did realise that they just safely pulled out I removed them and there was hardly any oil loss. Doing it again I would just remove the complete hub and driveshaft assemblies first, however this does mean disconnecting the brake lines and the bleeding on reassembly.

As you say, no need to remove much - undo the bottom of the shocks, unbolt the ears (may need to undo the calipers and suspend from the shock/spring), undo the A-frame to dedion bolt and the 2 forward A-frame bolts - simples