Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer widths - what will fit?

finmac

My SV, on caterham/KN 15"/10-spoke 6" wheels, fits on a Brian James A-Series - just *thumbup*

If it had wider rears I doubt it would go on.

I also have Toyo T1R tyres that have a significant rim protection moulding, which is great with the trailer as the tolerance is tight and without a decent rim protection I would be scraping the rims on the sides of the trailer bed.

I'm just about to trailer my car down to CC in Crawley. My question is about securing the car to the trailer. How do Caterham owners usually do it?

Attach to the unsprung parts (wheels or wishbones?), and allow the car to move on its suspension? Tyre straps? Or use the towing points?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ned

Yes, I've just been trawling YouTube. Under every 'how it's done' video, there are a dozen 'you're an idiot' comments.

I'm going with soft straps around each wheel, with the winch attached at the front for good luck. And it will be a leisurely trip around the M25. The slow speed of the aged Defender will I hope be mitigated by lots of oohs and aahs at the beauty of my lovely car on the back!

I have the proper Brian James car straps and they are excellent for the 7.

I usually use all four straps, one in each wheel but i have also  towed from one end of the country to the other using only the rear two wheels strapped down tight and the winch holding the front, no issues.