Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T: Clutch replacement Rover 400 1.4 K-series / cheap tintop recommendations

Smithy77

I'm considering ditching my current cheap tintop run about - a 1997 E36 316i on 155K miles - as it is due two new tyres and some probable welding to the floor for its next MOT in Nov, so thought it wise to cash in now. Plus it has a minor ongoing running issue which I have not been able to resolve, so MPG isn't amazing, and being pre-2001 and over 1550cc it just falls into the higher tax band (a ludicrous £235/year!).

I've been considering options and looking at pre-2001 <1.6L cars; something cheap, lowish miles and reliable. Two options spring to mind:

1. Honda Civic 1.5 Vtec

2. Something with a Rover K-series, just for the sake of shared knowledge and spares from my Caterham ownership.

Just been to see a tidy low milage Rover 400 and it was good enough to want it, the only problem is it needs a new clutch - foot down in 2nd and the revs spin up as soon as they hit 3K rpm. I'm tempted to make a discounted offer to account for the required work to replace the clutch. Got a quote to replace at Mr Clutch of around £240 all in.

Is it worth a punt to offer £300-350?

Is it a DIY'able job for a competent DIYer, but who has never done a clutch before? I'm guessing it is easier than doing the job on the 7

Any other cars worth looking at?

All comments/thoughts/advice welcome *smile*

I think doing a clutch on a front wheel drive car would be a nasty job .... probably involving removing suspension and gearbox. A lot easier on a 7 ... by just removing the engine. I would personally leave it to someone that does it all day every day. £240 is cheap I reckon. One elderly owner from new .... slips and abuses the clutch something rotten ?

Clutch pedal = foot rest.

When you get bored of the 1.4, you could build a monster engine for it and scare other road users. And then bung it in the Caterham and scare yourself. Normal looking Rover 400 with 200+bhp and TB'd snarl would make a great street sleeper.

Well, you did say all comments/thoughts/advice welcome. *rofl*

I used Mr Clutch (Highgate Branch) a few years ago to do my  petrol T4 VW Van. They quoted cheap on what I knew was a pig of a job and they did a good job. Much as I like doing it myself, sometimes it's sensible to use a pro and get a guarantee, especially on an awkward job.

Mankee - thanks, I will bear that in mind! *smile*

I think I'll offer him a reduced price if he still has it for sale at the weekend.

I've also just seen another local E36 on ebay, but its a 318i and only on 68K miles. Might make a cheeky bid after viewing it. It goes against my aim of getting a cheaper to run car, but to keep driving a low mile BMW, it's a price worth paying 

Well I didn't buy either of those in the end. I went to see the 318 but I saw an invoice for £1500 dated Dec 2014 for repair of HGF with a crack found in the head and it having to go off for repair. Whilst looking under the bonnet I also found a thick layer of what looked like golden engine oil floating at the top of the expansion tank. No mayo under the oil cap though so was a little confused what exactly was wrong, but it was enough for me to walk away.

In the end I ended up going for a 2002 MG ZS 1.8, 87K miles, good mechanical order, drives and pulls well, reasonable body work and the previous 2 owners (the guy I bought it off bought it from his next door neighbour, who in turn owned it since 2004) didn't look like the types to thrash it. Knocked him down from £650 and paid £490. The increase in insurance is offset (exactly) by the saving in road tax, so I'm hoping all in all it should be cheaper to run/maintain, whilst being a bit more fun to drive.

One thing which was wrong with it, and this could be contentious given that it's a K-series, was that the coolant was filled with plain water and he mentioned he had to top it up occasionally. Well I got home and found a heater hose was split at a jubilee clip, which I have now fixed.

Should I be concerned that it hasn't had proper 'coolant' in it? Could it have done any damage? It was £490 at the end of the day though so wouldn't be too upset...