Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Premier Power Lotus 7 Club Round 14 anglesey

Comp Scorer

I'm sure that like myself many competitors have just recieved the follow :-

A CORKING 3.1 MILES SPRINT AT ANGLESEY

There are two exciting developments for competitors to look forwards to at Longton's Anglesey weekend on October 3 and 4. The Saturday round on the National circuit will be a 1.55 miles two-lapper this year, following the format which has now become established by other organisers.

Things get even better on Sunday with a unique two-lap course of the International circuit that brings the Corkscrew into use for the first time for sprint competitors. This gives a total of 3.1 miles of high speed challenges to test drivers and machinery.

The course – which is believed to give the longest sprint held in the UK - is the brainchild of Longton Chairman Graham Malcolm who came up with the idea after hearing frequent comments from drivers who had eyed up the downhill sweeps through the Corkscrew with relish.

The route will start in the new pits (some start-line grip at last?) and follow the exit lane onto the circuit before the banked corner and the usual International course through Church and up the hill to Rocket and Peel. On the first lap it's then downhill to the usual left but now turning immediately right into the Corkscrew rather than coninuing along the Tom Pryce straight. The Corkscrew rejoins the usual sprint route at the corner by the new pits entry and the second lap follows the familiar International layout (so long as drivers remember to turn onto the Tom Pryce straight) and finishes after the hairpin. 

I've emailed Paul and will advise what we find out. This has impacts to several areas of the championship

but whats your thoughts !!!!

And for an alternative viewpoint it's hardly a "sprint" now though, is it? 

Clearly the chairman drives on list 1a's as that's about 2.1 miles of abusing your tyres.  A good way of finishing off one's 1b tyres at the end of the season though.  Not sure I'd fancy it on £800 worth of hillclimb slicks *eek* - what do you think Simon? 

I acknowledge the pro's and con's for everyone and agree with Nigel that the corkscrew is a really nice section of track to drive but I do think this is too long for a "sprint".  I would always prefer to see more runs rather than longer runs at our events.  It also impacts the records and therefore overall results.  I'm not sure there are many left.

Goodwood is new format, gurston no tyre warming so 0.4 seconds behind before you start, epynt about to be ditched, both angelseys out, curb 2 no record calc for another year or two?  Wiscombe (one of the best Nat A hills) ditched, Hethel new, Blyton too new for records yet? ........... 

I am not sure if this is the consensus and I know I'm not actually competing this year, but I think we (as a championship) need to be going to quality hills and proper circuits.  Certainly for me, the Wiscombes, Shelsleys, Goodwoods, Castle Coombes etc are more attractive than test tracks and airfields with cones.  Overly long runs and fewer of them don't hold much appeal.  I would have thought that Anglesey for example, would have learnt from the Goodwood try out with their double lapper - it's back to a single again. 

Wiscombe should be back on the Calender next year, and my understanding is that it will be discussed at the tech forum if Curborough 8 and Blyton Single Lap format will be qualify for next year for the overall championship.

Castle Combe could have been on the calendar this year if the dates had been confirmed as my understanding that originally it clashed with the wales weekend at llandow & Lys-y-fran but then got moved back by a week.

I agree with you, Stuart.  Although I can't go this year, I'd rather Anglesey was shorter and the previous visits meant something this time around.

(I also think the Wiscombes, Combes and Shelsleys of this world should be included in our calendar by the way, but that's another discussion.)

I certainly agree with Stuart on the choice of quality venues.

the problem we have given ourselves with the use of records, is (at risk of stating the obvious), we have no control over the stability of non Curborough events.

Like Stuart , I am not competing this year - but I completely agree with him.

I should think some of the bike engined cars and single seaters will run out of petrol before they get round that course at Anglesey. When they run a track day and use the Corkscrew, they usualy omit the Hairpin, which would make more sense - if you want to make the two days of competition significantly different.

I have competed in a two lap sprint of the National Circuit, which was ok-ish, but a run is still under 120 secs for a higher powered car. I am suprised they have suggested it for the International Course, as this is going to reduce the number of cars they can have out at once. It's quite a drive back from the track exit to the start line if you get a re-run!

Not sure about the longer run as far as the tyres go but for all the other classes I would be all for the longer runs.  I like them - tyres get properly up to temp and you can drive the car harder and faster.

I have quite fancied Time Attack for this reason and I notice Knockhill does something in between.  Out of the pits for a warm up lap and then you get a flying lap to set a time and back in to the pits.  You do this a number of times in a day.

I like that as it takes away the start which I am not the best at!  :-)

They need to finish off the main circuit at Anglesey as otherwise you would need to do another lap to get off the circuit.

Its odd - we are all different and like different things.

I agree in general about the retaining of core venues although there are still Safety issues at some.

The records or lack of only affect Edward Lewis and Overall - not the class champ.