Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3 R300 Rear Dampers

Bizzielizzie13

• Area Representative

Having returned from a 1,200 mile trip around northern Spain I find I have a leaking rear damper unit. My question is, should I replace with a standard unit (Bilstien I think) or 'upgrade' to say Nitron Street Series. Would that indeed be an upgrade? They look to offer good value.

I don't do track days in this car & it's 3 years old. Thanks for comment.

Bilstein are doing mine at the moment. Send them the damper (ideally in pairs and you can leave the sping and platforms on if you want, they'll put them back together how they arrived) to the address on Vitruvius Way in Leicester (Google 'Bilstein UK') with a covering letter with your details. They will strip them, replace internal components and check them on a dyno. Current turn around time is about a week and a standard service is £80 per damper.

As I was always taught by my father and I have seen written many times always change in pairs.

However having seen these dampers on the dyno and a very wide range of age and use I would "carefully" comment that age and useage have no correlation with the forces seen on the dyno.

Now you can interpret this as you wish.  Obviously you can understand why I am cautious about simply making a brash generalisation of a statement.

They need to be tested.

• Area Representative

Thanks Johnathan & Simon,

I've got a new one on it's way, the 'last one' in stock!

Tony at South said there have been changes to valving etc and the Damper is Vin specific.

So at moment I will only be able to change one anyway, following Simon's guidance best move would be to refurb the displaced unit and then change the other side. If the refurb is only £80 it's less than half new price.

I'm with you on component change, if in doubt, carry out a 'float test' and act accordingly!

David