Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is brake cleaner safe on sump gasket?

glasgow

I Need to clean some dust and tiny silicone parts off a K rover sump gasket. What should I use-Wynn's brake and clutch cleaner? could theis brake cleaner damage the thin "rubbery" coat of the gasket? Will the brake cleaner leave any residue that could have a harmful effect on the engine?

Thank you in advance

Ahmed

Brake cleaner is prettty aggressive, and there's a big range of different constituents in different products. In general I'd keep it away from rubber and plastics. It's unlikely to leave a residue.

What is the gasket made of?

Could you post a photo of the affected area of the gasket?

"Silicone remover/ cleaner" is available but I've never understood what it is.

I wonder if petrol and a very gentle scrape might be the best method.

Jonathan

PS: Did you decide to sort this out yourself after the garage's effort?

I dont really need a silicone removal as I managed last week to remove all the "adherent" silicone off the edges before it get hardened. What I have on the gasket now is just some "loose" tiny silicone particles (topped up with some dust after beeing setting in the garage for 1 week).

If I just use any thing to wipe the oil off the gasket, these dust and silicone particles will be wiped down.  So, basically an oil cleaner or degreaser would do but not sure what to use? or may be washing with Pril in the kitchen sink *biggrin*

(Gasket is a K rover, metal gasket with a thin rubbery surfaces)