Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear View Mirror

Rev

I have an old 1988 Caterham and the rear view mirrors position really obscures the view from the front screen. 

Anyone got ideas for alternatives like a dash mounted mirror or smaller one that may be worth looking at?

Thanks,

Nick

How big is the current mirror, and how high is it on the screen? Would getting it a bit higher help?

Good range at CBS.

There's a recent discussion of which mirrors suck and which don't (it's the other way round, of course, for members in the USA). That would probably give you the most choice of positions.

Have you looked at mirrors on the stanchions or leading edges of the doors... and you'll get several answers that one in the middle isn't needed, I would find that difficult.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,

The current mirror is the stock size around 6 to 7". But it sits right in my view at the top of the screen.

I suspect a pedestal mirror would be the option I'd go for but I thought I'd see others ideas before I took the plunge.

I have a pair of side view mirrors on the doors, but to be honest I was thinking of going to wind wings as the doors also obscure view. I only use the car for quick blasts at the moment and thought the wings would be enough.

I will probably though look for alternative wing mirrors next.

Thanks,

Nick

Turn the existing mirror and bracket upsidedown, which allows you to mount it higher.

You'll need to dremmel a bit out of the socket to allow the stem to tilt more (and possbily a notch out of the stem in the same place).

I did notice a dipping mirror on a newer seven recently that had the dipping lever at the top and seemed to also be mounted upsidedown, but didn't notice whether this had been modified as above. Maybe CC have found a newer one that can be mounted that way without modification?

The mod is simple to do however.

This topic is very subjective, I’ve tried several options since 1999 but gone back to the std Caterham item. The difference this time – I mounted it much lower and slightly to the left. Basically the only item in the field of vision that’s now obscured is the nearside headlamp. Rearward vision is not perfect as I have a single diagonal FIA roll bar but with the use of side mirrors and the new position for the centre mirror, most areas are now covered with good forward vision. You can try with basic double sided tape before you apply the more permanent stuff.

I appreciate all the thoughts and comments and can see the reasoning from all points of view.

I do like a centre mirror and will try to resolve the issue by first buying a suction mirror and moving it around the screen to see what suits me best. If I find the "Perfect" spot I will report! 

Regards and thanks to all.

:-)