Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pesky OPG sender unit [K series]

Julian H

Hi

I know this parts reputation having now owned 4 of them in my Seven since I have had it [almost exactly one year] but this last one takes the biscuit.

CC reciept dated 23/4/15, I fitted it on 24/4/15. I have been on several local blats, done Dunsfold and today a trackday [my first, at Goodwood *wobble* ].

The gauge, with a hot engine is reading just over 2 bar at 3000rpm, just under 2 bar at idle. 

Many will say, go mechanical, and I will, but right now, I just dont have time to do it!

Is 1 month and a day a record for this part? *soapbox*

J

Do you have the remote mount kit ? Or is it fitted by the oil filter. I went through 2 before I realised I was damaging them going over the flipping plates at the entrance to my work car park.

Simon

Also recommend remote mounting it. I'm not using a Caterham gauge or sender (Racetech items instead) but have bashed my car around the circuits and bumpy airfields for years with no issues related to the sender going down. Part of this has got to be tucking the sender up out of harm's way and away from engine vibrations. Use the opportunity to T-piece and fit an early warning engine-about-to-explode-from-lack-of-oil-pressure light as well.

will go mechanical but not right now. I have been trying to get hold of CC spares/parts numerous times today. Ended up leaving a message. I'll try again tomorrow if I don't hear anything. BTW, mine is M12.

On the subject of mechanical gauges, does anyone know if these are a direct replacement for the standard CC unit?

Part of this has got to be tucking the sender up out of harm's way and away from engine vibrations.

Therein lies the answer to the problem of unreliable OP senders.  IMO, the standard Caerbont sender has gained an unjustified reputation for unreliability.  I'd agree that going mechanical is the best solution, but failing that, the next best thing is to reduce the amount of engine vibration reaching the sender.  CC's remote mounting kit was designed to achieve exactly this end.

JV

Hi

I was not aware of the remote adaptor (which does not appear to be on CC website) but I will be going mechanical in due course anyway. CC have agreed to credit me the faulty sender unit when it is returned after I have fitted Its replacement. Until I can do that, natural paranoia has set in about the state of my engine. I am sure it will be fine...., he says! 

IIRC, CC's remote mounting kit is (was, more accurately) basically the same braided hose and mounting block as the MOPG kit (both came from Think, I believe).  The Caerbont sender was then attached to the mounting block, well away from road crud and (more importantly, IMO) engine vibration.

Another alternative to the MOPG would be the SPA sender mounted remotely (as descibed here).

JV 

Oil pressure paranoia ends again..., for a while anyway *confused* New EOPG sender fitted, good news it is literally a 5 minute job. Next time I will have the MOPG kit here ready. 

EOPG sender gets sent back to CC for credit tomorrow.

• Area Representative

You can extend the life of the sender by putting silicone around the contact. In my experience it is the influx of water and dirt via the small gap around the spade connector that kills the sender.