Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR550 Tyre Advice

jonheli

Hi all

Time to replace my tyres! I currently have CR550 175/55x13 all round.

'Cruella' has a Rover 1.8 engine, 202 BHP, and a LSD; Someone suggested that with that power output, I could/should have wider section tyres on the rear.

Any help would be appreciated, and also where can I get some tyres? have tried all the suppliers in this area of Kent, but there seems to be a stock shortage!!

Thanks, Jon

CR550 ..... is that a special edition of the CR550 ? ...... sorry.

sounds the same to me *smash*

Jon, General advice I was given from Caterham when asked some years ago was over 170-180BHP warrants wider rears (I've run both 7 & 8" rear wheels) 205/55/13 CR500s!

Chris

Hi Jon

It  really depends what your use of the car is. Even at 200bhp if you are driving around the country lanes albeit in a spirited way the tyres that you are running are probably more than capable of handling the power you are putting down. However if your use is mainly on track then a wider section tyre could well help but there are lots of things to think about!

Remember that your max power comes well toward the top of your rev range so it can be a little misleading just to consider max power. So are you someone who regularly bounces off the rev limiter or change up around 5k In other words your driving style

Do you ever find that you lose traction when accelerating or through the corners? In other words is there a regular situation where the power overcomes the tyres other than when you drop the clutch?

There are a whole host of other considerations and to look at just 1 aspect (200bhp) would be to ignore some fairly important matters.

Just a few other considerations that are important to how you drive your car -

Suspension set up...... what shocks and spring rates?..... Adjustable platforms?.....have you had the car flat floored?.......What rake are you running?....... what front ARB are you using?...... Do you have a rear ARB if so how is it set?..... what camber are you running? .... What is the castor set to.

Thats just the suspension

You

What is your driving experience? Have you ever has professional tuition on track?

It goes on and on if you want to do it properly.

By the way tyre pressures are something that you need to consider together with weight and the ambient temperature. If you are a skinny person (like me AH HUM - well not really *burger* ) the pressures you need will be different to a fat Barsteward! Again there are a number of factors in play with pressures. Most people set them cold and check them every now and again. if you use 18 as a base moving by 2 psi is an 11% change. If your tin top runs at 36psi you wouldn't run them at 32 - same % change. Also most TPG's are not that accurate certainly the things at garages are often well out!

If its esthetics then spend your money as they will look better but the 205 CR500 has a radius increase of 13.5mm and that will change the handling characteristics!

Simple its not! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 220 BHP with 6" front 13" wheels and 7" rear wheels. I have 70 profile AO21Rs for road and 55 profile CR500s for track, as I wanted more ground clearance on the roads without changing the suspension setup, but the AO21R is no longer road legal and the CR500 is no longer manufactured, so I'm in a similar pickle.The Avon replacement for the CR500 is the ZZR, the smallest of which is 185/55x13, so a little bit wider than the CR500 175/55x13. It is suitable for 5.5" to 7" wheels, so you could just fit them, if you haven't had problems with your narrower CR500s. Alternatively, you could get 2 wider rear wheels and fit the 215/55x13, which is suitable for 7" to 8.5" wheels, but make sure you know the wheels will fit and not interfere with anything else before you buy them. My rears are 7", ET50, 108mm PCD and fit a DeDion car.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-legal/performance/zzr

/edit I could be wrong about the CR500 not being made any more, as it wasn't listed on one Avon related site, but I've found it on another one!