Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5W50

glasgow

• Area Representative

It is the standard oil for my R400D.

No problems summer or winter just allow the engine to come to temperature + 10 minutes of 'carefull' rev management (especially in winter), then drive the nuts off it!!

Cold oil pressure in winter will of course be slightly higher than normal for a short while so take it easy.

I dont think they're saying that 5w50 works equally well at both high and low temperatures.  5w50 will achieve the correct hot viscosity at a higher temperature than a 5w30.  Thats why it is better suited for high revving usage as the average temperature will be higher.  Roger's point is that they both have the same cold rating (5w) so therefore should have similar cold start properties (regardless of how the oil behaves once warmed up).

Thanks.

I assume the higher viscosity at the hot end is because they know the engines will be hotter on the track and the other oil would get too thin. I have no idea why they have recommended different viscosities at the cold end, but it might be due to what was available at some time rather than what was needed.

Jonathan