Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking thermo housing c20xe

Bodhiseven

Hi guys,

I seem to have pickled myself once again after discovering a small weep in my cooling system. I made a thread sometime back about my pressurizing cooling system so I have since taken the advice given to and seemed to have sorted that but now have another issue. So, once reassembling the cooling system and re-fastening the thermo housing and hose to the block bracket, I took the car for a run and brought it back only to find another leak located in this general area. I attempted to tighten the three nuts attaching the thermo housing to the block and i might hve overdone it as there seems to be a bigger leak now in this area. I think I stripped the bolt thread from the inside and perhaps compromised the the thermo housing fitment to the bracket attached to the block. What do you guys reckon I can do from here? If I cracked the bracket or thermo housing itself these parts will not be easily sourced here in NA. It seems the last bolt didn't tighen all the way and rotated too much so I left it for now as it wasn't getting more difficult to turn leading me to believe it may have been buggered. Anywasy, as always gents, you'r advice is appreciated.

Okay, upon further investigation, I tried to back off the screws to see if I cracked the thermo housing and sure enough the last bolt/screw head sheared clean off so I hope I didnt crack the thermo housing but it seems I'll need t get that bit of screw out of the thermo housing and bracket. I hope these screws are easy to find? I'm not sure I cracked my thermo housing still. Once step at a time it seems.

I'd take it off again, have a good look, and check the fittings with it off.

Where are you?

Is it the same as this one? If so it's Vauxhall part 90284952, and a quick search for that suggests it's available in both the UK and the USA. If not I'd be happy to post one, unless there's a better way... You'll also need seals etc.

Jonathan

No that doesn't look like the part. Mine has two sensors attached. That pic only shows one. I'm not sure how to post pics on here but if you message me your email address, I can send you a pic. Really having a tough time getting this car sorted for use. Thanks Jonathan,

From memory there is a gasket yes. It would be easy to source the parts here and if Jonathan can't I can ship. Assuming oyu need ot go down this route be wary when fitting the sensors, particularly the smaller one, this is a taper thread and it's possible to crack the housing by over tightening. 

There are 2 parts in this area, one part fixes to the block  and has 2 se nsors then the second part which has the thermostat fitted, fits to the first part. If I remember, all the screws are M6 (but check). I'd remove the offending part, use the existing rubber seal and augment with silicone sealant. I've resealed this way often

Thanks guys,

I have managed to remove the remaining bit of screw that had sheared off and luckily, I had a spare bag of oil sump bolt/screws that fit perfectly so that was lucky. I've reassembled as I couldn't see any crack per se although it is still leaking. I'm going to dissassemble and apply some silicone today to see if this fits the bill.It it des stop leaking, I suppose I didn;t crac my bits after all. Stay tuned and thanks for all your help gents.

So, I was able to sort out the leak with the gasket maker material so now I suppose once I ensure the air block is removed, I'll start to give her a proper cleaning. Was also thinking of a cycle wing conversion but I suppose if there are no benefits insofar as performace goes, I'll likely stick with the clamshells and Id rather not have the bullet holes along the side skins. Looking forward to spending some quality time witha nice tidy wash.

I'll take some pics after the fact and try to post.