Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil usage

Nick W

Hi all

My car (R400) seems to be ingesting oil at quite a high rate. Haven't worked out its usage over the last 1,000 miles, but I have certainly put a couple of litres into it recently although this did include a track day. This is much more than my old 1.6 std car used.

I seem to remember a thread sometime ago (that I couldn't find) which said the VHPD engine had quite a thirst for oil. I guess I just want to know if this is normal!

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

NIck

Do not worry too much as:

a) The engine is quite new and still needs to bed in a bit.

b) Is it dry sumped - if so the capacity of the K bell housing is quite small, so only a small ammount of usage is noticable.

Keep it topped up, and do not worry.

Ps I have no K series experience, so take the above with a pinch of salt ......

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Greg

Thanks for the reply- it is dry sumped but even if the bell housing is small, surely the oil has to go somewhere *confused*.

Anyway- am watching it like a hawk and after recent oil fill (last night) it seems to be running a sensible pressure.

Nick

I've read reviews of other VHPD-equipped cars that suggested that they ingest oil at a high rate all the time that they are used hard, and that this is normal - just keep an eye on it! My 1.6 standard K seems to use almost none, whatever i do to it, over a year of a race series and a dozen track days it barely ever needed a top up. Bizarre!

our VHPD used none for the first 1500 miles. then from 1501 -> 3500 it consumed 1/2L.

now it's back to durn near zero consumption.

the best trick i was shown, by one of the guys at rat race was how to read it. i'd used the dipstick which is (a) useless, (b) wrong , and © not a true indication of the amount when the engine is running.

make sure the engine is fully WARMED UP, and leave it running in idle. take bonnet off...

where the dipstick goes in, there is a part that it mates to with a blow off tube on it. turn that piece until it comes off and peer down with a torch. oil at the bottom o the tube ='s OK, oil below that means add some slowly.

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Edited by - w1scb on 24 Jan 2003 17:07:12

Steve- likewise, it used nothing for the first 1,000 miles or so, then suddenly acquired a thirst (bit like me now).

Peter- I will check it out, but I guess it must have used some as I seem to remember it giving off a bit of oil smoke a while back. At the time, this is what I assumed it to be. Always occured at traffic lights and by the time I got home I (typically) forgot to check.