Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hot R300

Wight Skipper

My Duratec R300 gets ridiculously hot.  By this I mean I get as hot driving it as the engine does sometimes and on a warm day it can be very uncomfortable, especially in stop start traffic.  Any suggestions as how to release more heat from the bonnet area so less gets to me?!  And is there a heat shield solution that could deflect heat from the transmission tunnel area.  I could cook an egg on this.

There are a few reports, including one recent, of wrapping the exhaust manifold and first part of the exhaust. That post also includes heat shields.

There has been discussion of adding air inlets in front of the scuttle but I don't think any successes. (See old Jaguars.)

Do you have a heater unit with a fan?

Jonathan

After my pixie boots melted, I vowed to do something about cockpit heat on my R400D.  In the end, I wrapped the primaries.  A possible alternative was to use footwell insulation but as my exhaust was off the car anyway, I opted for the wrap. 

There appears to be pretty mixed opinion about the pros and cons of doing this, notably that the silencer is going to suffer.  But, after a subsequent trip down through France, I can report that the wrap definitely works.  I can now touch the tunnel skin without burning my fingers and the cockpit is a much more pleasant place to be.

There's lots in the archives on this topic -- try searching on "exhaust AND cockpit AND heat AND duratec".

JV

Another thought....

My kit included a plastic cowl for installation in the nosecone.  It seemed designed to direct all incoming cooling air through the rad (a spin-off from the C400 race cars, I believe).  After a few months, I removed it, and there was a noticeable drop in engine-bay temps.  If your R300 has this cowl too, I'd recommend you do the same.

JV

Hope you got back ok from Folembray?!?

The new cars have insulation on the pedal box, and down the tunnel.  Which means I don't really suffer too much with overheating issues.

This would be the first thing to look at in my opinion, then maybe carpet the tunnel... But this adds weight! *rolleyes*

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty convinced that the heat is mainly from the exhaust manifold. I have a 2012 sigma supersport and on a blat out today my feet and lower legs were roasting. By contrast, the misses, sat in the passenger seat said her feet were a little cold. Surely the only real difference can be the exhaust manifold on the drivers side.

Whatever, I need to try one of the solutions discussed above.

Louis

Where on the IoW do you find yourself in stop-start traffic...?! Garlic Farm at teatime?

Back on topic, the pre-fitted insulation that Daniel mentioned feels like good quality, and is nicely stuck onto the chassis panels around the footwells etc. I think it would be very hard to retro-fit, though, unless you're willing to pull a lot of stuff out of the way.

Ned

Just been working on cooling issues after my modded x flow seemed hot in London traffic, (not surprised).

Put in 11" Spal fan as on the front of my radiator is an oil cooler which I'd reckon blocks a bit of air. Anyway, easy to fix, not much cost, plug and pray.

Next I had an insulating foam back kit sheets for an S3. Using these bits (with the nice pictures provided through this forum , most handy) I've been able to retro fit in situ over the pedal boxes and front of tunnel (till it goes on a ramp or rebuild for the rest of the tunnel). Had to mod with sciccors and clean panels to make it stick, but seem firm.

Next I got two rolls of Titanium heat wrap, removed exhausts and sat in sunshine wrapping them. Metal cable ties seem shonky so using Jubillee clips.

Will take pictures shortly, but wrapped the pipes from 1/2" off manifold to through the side panel for a hint of retro wrap showing. Used opportunity to replace exhaust gaskets. 

Obviously, have to report back on effect, and doing three things at once won't necessarily tell me whether any or all work or which has most effect...But fingers crossed.

My passenger didn't understand why I put the heating on in traffic when temp went up, and explaining to her it was either a new head gasket or shoes didn't help. But I am keen to get temps down if possible on what is essentially to me a street machine, not a racer.