Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Leak

Lost Boy

Looks like I've had a bit of acid from the battery spill under the bonnet and now I;ve got that crusty white stuff on the inside of the footwell as well as around the battery and on the underside of the bonnet. possible its been like that for a while. I've invested in anew battery but would like to clean off some of the gunk before I fit it, any suggestions as how to neutralise it and remove it. Hot soapy water has got some of it off but its still a bit rough??

Thanks in advance

Disconnect battery.

Don't bother with "neutralising". Remove as much equipment in contact as possible to make it easy. Disconnect and expose any electrical contacts.

Lots of water to remove acid. Brush (stiff nylon then wire if that doesn't work) and mild abrasive such as kitchen cleaner to remove crud.

Wash and dry.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Jonathan

PS: Who's going to be first to suggest baking soda helps... ?

What is the white stuff that we're trying to remove?

I'd say it's a mixture of lead sulphate and aluminium sulphate, with a moisturizing dash of sulphuric acid (some of which might derive from hydrolysis of the Al salt).

Note that lead sulphate is insoluble in water, and toxic, whereas aluminium sulphate is water-soluble and relatively non-toxic (but then you already knew that, JK!).

JV