Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cut down screen?

solstice

I fitted an aero screen over the weekend and am enjoying the experience, however being a short arse and having a lowered floor I would prefer a clear screen, I know Meteor supply one, but I have also seen pictures of what looks like a standard screen which has been cut down, has anybody tried this as an alternative?

A Pennine Area member called Andy Howarth did this many years ago. Unfortunately we are no longer in contact but I can tell you what he did.

He cut the standard windscreen surround down to the level he wanted. ( you can not go below the mounting bolts on the side for obvious reasons) He then took the frame to a glazier who did laminated glass and had a piece cut to the shape of the frame. ( they used the original as a template) The top exposed area of the glass was 'finished' so it just looked like the top of the glass when your tin top window is open. I can not remember how it was retained in the 'incomplete channel' but I assume it was 'glued' in some way.

It looked very good.

You need a laminated glass glazier and have a chat.

Yes, I've done it with a screen for my CSR, easy peasy!  You'll find that it works at about 7" high, but even though there is no top windscreen frame, the MOT man will still require at least one wiper blade and a squirter, so just cut down one of the blades, I think I may have shortened an arm too.

Buy a broken screen off here for a very meagre sum, and use that as the basis, then take it to a glass man for a laminated screen, properly finished and stuck in with black goo.

it will work a treat.

No, that top frame just looks wrong, doesn't it.  The original glass should just pull out of a rubber infill, no bonding, from memory, however, it is easier to bond the new cut down screen back in so that it doesn't pop out of the top.

Quite an easy job, although I just cut my frame to the height of the uprights and took it into my local friendly glass supplier who did the rest.  BM me your email address and I'll send you a few snaps.

How does one put pictures here?

interesting form an MOT point how does the test differentiate between windscreen and an aero screen or brooklands AFAIK there is no height  dimension so surely this is just a 'wide' brooklands or tall clear aero? therefore present it for test without wiper. as both of the aobve can be in drivers line of sight depending on seat, floor and driver height.

I also did it, two times

the first time I made the frame 5cm lower which still goes with the doors and the 2nd time I made a frame 3cm lower. I now go with the 3cm loweer frame the 2nd year and its just perfect for me.

The screen is a special polycarbonate Makrolon AR from Bayer, its 5mm strong. It was still good after 22000km driving.

I have no wipers but use a water / rain repellent on the screen.

Best Regards

HP