Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Storing a Seven

Pierson Broome

Now I appreciate that the subject matter is probably anathema to most 7 owners/drivers, but due to our impending emigration I need to store the car. It is going into storage in a de-humidified, secure private collection on it's battery conditioner and under a dust cover.

Has anyone any experience of doing similar for substantial time periods (we'll be in Singapore but plan to be back every 6 months or so) and if so, does anyone have any tales/checklists above and beyond the obvious of which to be wary?

We had investigated taking it with us, but this looks impracticle at present - though circumstances may change. Any 7 owners in Singapore who might read this Forum?

Any and all advice/comments (other than 'bloody good riddance...') gratefully received.

Pierson

Do you know anyone who you'd trust to drive the car every so often? I stored a couple of motorbikes for a year once but they didn't like it - needed new fork seals, etc. I'd put new oil in, filled the bores, drained the petrol tank, removed the wheels, etc, etc but I think use is what's best - just an occasional long run.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Yup, starting, running to operating temperatures and driving for a short distance is all 'part of the service', so to speak, so hopefully this will keep things fluid and pliable.

I also have a couple of very good friends who may also keep a weather-eye on the car in my absence.

Unless anyone else has any more advise, looks as if I might have things covered! Thanks again for your responses. Now - what am I going to do without the Seven in Singapore?!

Pierson

Hiya!

Having lived in Singapore for quite a while, I'm having difficulty seeing a Seven on the roads - mind you, if you could do it, you'd have the most original car there.

Your main problem will be the COE - Certificate of Entitlement. Because Singapore is such a crowded island, the Government only allows a certain number of people to own a car, and manages this with the COE scheme. You buy this at auction by making a sealed bid for the 10 year certificate - and this can be extremely expensive (and I mean really, really expensive). A small car (Peugot 106) can cost around £30,000, and I'm not kidding.

Also, the lack of air-con may be a problem, plus the high humidity and air pollution may be a problem if your Cat is highly tuned.

But just think of driving down Orchard Road with the roof off (and then getting caught in the 5 minute tropical storms they have there) :-) Lovely.

Have fun whatever you do.

JDoc

I mean, come on, it's only a car, right?

Thanks again to all who have contributed on this thread.

Anthony - kind offer, but...... biggrin.gif

JDoc - it seems there are ways around the CoE if you have Ex-Pat status and commit to re-exporting a vehicle upon your departure - apparently you get different (whatever that means...) number plates and the import duties/CoE regs. are different. However, given the emission restrictions, it looks like a non-starter anyway (1800 x/f on 244cam w/twin 40's and 4:1 side exit....).

So - looks like we'll perhaps take the SLK instead. At least that has the AirCon.!

I'll miss the sevening scene, but maybe 'Low Flying' and this board will keep me up to speed whilst we're away. Roll on 2004....

Pierson