Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-flow starter motor - replacement options - type / source

DaveMorris

I have a x-flow engine with standard fly-wheel, hence standard starter motor. Looking to replace it.

If I go "like-for-like" where is the best place to go and what do I ask for ( a 9 or 10 tooth version)

or .. ..

Are there any alternatives out there which offer worthwhile improvements in performace (but which will not require a second mortgage).

Thanks for any feedback, Dave

Elie, that's probably not the one he's  looking for.

He needs the Lucas bendix type... I think.

I don't know where to find that in the UK. I recently bought one  here in Belgium and it was probably the last one in the country. ( Very hard to source one in my case )*spin*

When mine broke down a few years ago, getting a replacement was difficult without spending a fortune on a geared race version.   In the end I had a local alternator/starter repair company rebuild it instead.  They mentiond to me, once they had rebuilt it, that my Caterham starter (circa 1990) is a bit of a hybrid design with parts from two more common lucas starters, but they had never seen one exactly like mine before.

Elie and I know of one in Belgium - though condition is NOT GOOD. *whistle*

Thanks for the info so far - I'll remove the installed (borrowed) spare and take some piccies before returning it.

Looks like it's a "scrap yards here we come" time  (if the prices of the geared versions don't get lower than those from the sources I've checked so far).

D

• Area Representative

I used to sell uprated starters before they became rare using a man who has run out of the spec of body I asked for....I've passed the info below to others and had successful feedback from some who have bought from the chap mentioned. Hope you get the same treatment.

If he has any left himself ; Uprated Starter bodies - giving more power - Lucas 5 M 90 are the ones to go for and I have run out of them and you want them for racing and therefore bombproof  you may need a stronger bendix spring to prevent rearward movement on the Bendix. This occurs at high revs/vibration and can be seen as 'Bendix chatter' (obvious in rolling road situations - unless you are seriously leaning out your car watching the sparks..) increasing both Flywheel Starter Ring and Bendix teeth wear.

He will most likely renovate yours. I have some standard bodies you can have if desperate/needed.

>>
>>Classic & Vintage Dynamos Ltd. Unit 7 Shirebrook Business Centre, Vernon
>>Court, Vernon Street,
>>Shirebrook. Notts. NG20 8SP
>>Telephone 01623 747666

He's quite old and I hope he's still going! Last seen one year ago... Dikko.