Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HiSpec 232mm Ultralite 4 with Std solid discs

CheshireCat

Certainly the whole disc could be cleaned up that way, but usually the brake pads do an admiral job of cleaning the discs the first time they are used! Im in two minds - put them on, get them working and drive it and see how they cleans up, or fit the spare set of discs Ive got. 

Ive got really got the inclination to fully strip the hubs, bearing discs and reassemble, for whatever reason Im struggling for motivation to play with the car this winter.   

As a though, is there any reason why can cant carefully draw a line on the pad and file away say 2mm on each pad?

• Area Representative

Obviously the decision is yours, but if it were mine, I'd try rubbing off the rust first and if that went well and bare metal could be seen where previously there was a band of rust, I'd then try using the brakes, safe in the knowledge that the pad wouldn't become contaminated.

Personally, I wouldn't start playing around with filling off bits of the the pad - it could weaken the integrity of the structure etc...

Oh, and I'd give the newly sanded disc a good spray of brake cleaner...

Running new pads on heavily rusted discs runs the risk of bugering the pads. The harder rust deposits will contaminate the pad material and you could loose contact area, induce extra heat etc.....

I'm no expert (son of a old fashioned car mechanic) but I certainly wouldn't  take emery cloth to them either. Getting them skimmed is by far the better option if you're not replacing.

You may we'll get away with doing the nothing/the minimum, but Is it worth it?

Ive taken your advice and removed the hubs, separated the old discs and will be fitting a pair of little used discs that Richard gave me with the HiSpec callipers.  The bearings needed a clean and repack anyway as its not ben done for a couple of years.  

Fortunately as Ive replaced the discs previously, all the fasteners came apart easily using the technique with the assembly attached to a wheel on the floor.  Im just waiting for a new tin of POR15 to paint the centres of the discs before it goes back together (I hate rusty brake discs centres).  With the verniers, there is a couple of 2-3mm difference on the width of swept areas between  the old discs and the newer ones that have run these pads before.  Its very obvious when compared side by side, so its the right thing to do.