Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gears, ratios, help!

heavenly7

The car is a K series 1600 about a year and half old with the factory fitted 5 speed box. After porting etc the engine is producing around 170 bhp. I have decided not to fit a 6 speed box but have the ratios changed on the 5. The suggestion is 2.8 ratio on the first and .85 on 5th. The car will be used on the road and for track days but not for racing. I find I also enjoy a bit of cruising on dual carriage ways. The work is being done next week and I want to get the ratios right. What do you think please? They also recommend fitting a filler to the box to avoid the usual problems with changing the oil. Seems an excellent idea - any thoughts.

Is this route saving you a lot of money???

I would suggest the 6 speed is worth the money - they cahnge hads used but serviced for around £1300 -1500.

If you go to plan, I would say that assuming you are running 22" dia tyres (i.e 13" but not 6" wide ACB10's) that the 2.8 is a bit on the low side. A 2.6 ratio works well with the 3.92 diff.

Ideally for good clean take off from the line, a 1st geat with a compound ration of 5.5 - 6mph per 1000 rpm in first is ideal. Using the 5 speed should actually enable you to get a good spread hence a more touring orientated 5th.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k

the six speed is VERY nice. I recommended somebody get a modded 5 speed instead of a 6 speed once as it would save them 1000 quid over getting a new 6 speed. I met them a year or so later after they'd had it fitted and then tried a 6 speed in another car. He was *almost* angry, certainly a bit put out, at me for persuading him to save his 1000 quid and get the 5 speed.

ow that 6 speeders are around s/h....

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU