Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

AP vented disc weight and diameter?

AMMO

Edmandsd

Paul Mercer at PFM is a good mate and sponsored my race team with discs for a couple of seasons. He makes some very trick 320 mm floaters for bikes of his own patented design. He is an excellent bloke and makes very good kit. Noew operating from the Isle of Man. His party trick is to bend cast iron discs in half. They don't break. Good choice of supplier.

I agree with you 100% about cast iron over stainless discs. A lot of bikes come with 4-5 mm stainless discs. Fitting 6- 7 mm cast iron discs immediately improves the situation.

Stainless sucks *thumbdown*

Go on, scare me how much for the gun drilled shafts? I'm sitting down. Weight saving?

AMMO

When I got talking to Elite about converting their transaxle to an inline application I realised how many other things they're capable of and asked if they'd make me a pair of gundrilled shafts and a spool. They obviously couldn't gundrill my existing grp 4 shafts as they'd been hardened so they made an identical pair but with a 5/8th inch hole through the centre. At the same time they lightened the flanges and the overall weight saving was 3.5kgs. They saved the same amount with the spool over a standard lsd. I'm sure if there was sufficient demand they'd make them at a very reasonable price. I should also add that the quality of the shafts is really superb and they are actually proven to be stronger than the solid equivalents.

Home of BDR700

I am seriously intending to look into Elite gun drilling the de dion drive shafts.

But as Miraz posted some months ago the CV joints have recently changed to a new design which is lighter. I'm going to investigate the new CV joints first. If they're lighter then I'll look into changing to that design then getting the drive shafts from lightened. Seems pointless to run unecessarily heavy CV joints and pay to have the shafts lightened.

I'll see what BGD suugest before deciding on a strathegy for rear brakes. Watch this space.