Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AP vented disc weight and diameter?

AMMO

Front corners are about the only bit of the car still in one piece - I've got some spare vented discs kicking around, I'll get them onto a set of scales sometime tomorrow.

Whilst I'm doing it I'll weigh the uprated 2-pot AP rear setup too.

Ammo,

I believe the Overall Diameter is 253mm (allow a +/- 1mm tolerance for my fading memory though). I know as the Hi-spec 260mm disc and caliper didn't fit on Harry's car and we then went to the racing caliper and a machine down disc of 253/4mm to match the AP size. The offset is 27mm - critial to miss the track rod end - and they are 22mm thick (I think, again!).

As Harry/Steve says... huge stopping power. More than I needed with A510 yoko's, but have changed to 032's this year so will be a better set-up.

We did weigh some AP discs, but I can't remember what they were I'm afraid.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

The brake weights I have.

Brake Calipers AP 4pot caliper and pads 2.46

Brake Calipers standard Sierra inc pads 3.5

Brake Calipers HiSpec 4 pot 2.45

Brake disk HiSpec vented 4.25

Brake disk AP front vented 3.15

Brake disk standard Sierra 2.45

Brake pads new 4 pot two of = one wheel 0.4

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

so AP combo is lightest overall, followed by the standard sierra setup and finally the fatboy Hispecs look too heavy because of the disc weight!!

Problem for all you weight savers out their, for me i'm just after performance /pound *smile*

but lighter again will be hi-specs with a solid disk. And 1kg lighter again with a skimmed disk.

To fit the solid disk you need to make the caliper thinner - can't do this on the AP, on the Hi-spec (I think) you can just remove the spacer.

should then be:

Brake Calipers HiSpec 4 pot 2.45 - spacer (.3 kg?)

Brake disk standard Sierra 2.45 - 1.4 kg of skimming

Brake pads new 4 pot two of = one wheel 0.4

2.15 + 1 + 0.4 = 3.55 kg

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

The spacers on a Hi-Spec caliper with vented discs are about 22mm (I can measure it if its a big problem). The vented disc is 22mm and the solid is around 10mm. So, you would need a reduced spacer not no spacer at all. The spacers don't weigh much, certainly not .3kg.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens

I saved 8kgs all round over the standard 4 pot AP 10 inch vented front /2 pot Ap solid 9 inch rear with my current set up which comprises same 4 pot/2 pot calipers but with solid 10.5 inch front F3 AP Racing rotors and solid 9.5 inch rear rotors (off a 600cc motorbike).

I considered the carbon route after acquiring a load of new Williams discs/pads but was strongly advised against using them.

Home of BDR700

Thanks for the info guys.

Just to add to the weight database:

Wilwood Dynalite caliper with Hawk pads 1.85 kilos (needs mounting bracket)

Stock 232 mm front disc (no wear) 2.57 kilos

Modified 244 mm GT6 disc slimmed down to 10 mm and crossdrilled. 2.85 kilos

Might save 2 / 2.5 kilos on standard setup.

Last item is 12.5 mm stock and could be slimmed down further but I have been told that the Hawk pads are very aggressive and may damage the disc. Leaving it thick allows me to skim if neccessary.

Haven't fitted these to the car yet. Busy doing other mods first. I wanted to fit a larger diameter disc but the GT6 ones bolt straight on. I also have a Brembo disc from an an Alfa which is 260 mm which I could have used but this requires an ali bell making and I'm running out of time. Don't think I'll get bigger than 265 mm into my Superlite wheels.

I intend to slim down the rear disc once I have decided what to do about rear calipers.

Hope to get some weight out of the back brakes as well.

AMMO

Not sure. I'm talking about the silver AP racing calipers as supplied by Caterham until 3 years or so ago when they changed to the prettier black ones, before they changed to the lastest spec black ones (which probably have dust seals which is I guess why they changed the second time). These silver calipers are AP part no CP3876.

The discs I am using are AP racing CP2866-1970, 280mm diameter and only 9.6mm thick. Bigger diameter and very thin, also very light with an alloy bell.

As the standard venties are only 15mm thick I guess fitting solid discs and new brake pads without modifying the caliper is like using pads with 3mm wear. Provided the disc is still central in the caliper (get the right spacers to mount the calipers) and you don't let the pads get too worn this will be OK.

BG Developments only charged 30 quid to modify the two calipers which I thought was very reasonable.

Dave - interested in your bike discs for the rear, do you think these could be made to work on a de dion car? Do you know which bike it was off? I'm taking a drive shaft, ear, hub to BG Developements tomorrow to see if they can do anything to get the weight down.

Graham - My front discs are only 267mm diameter and thicker than yours so I see why you needed to thin your calipers. I couldn't tell you the part number for mine because I got them second hand.

I reckon you could get bike discs working on the rear - I worked out what size I wanted (240mm x 6mm) and simply looked through the pfm catalogue until I found one. I deliberately used the thicker 6mm ones (as opposed to the more common 4.5mm ones) and made them floating. HTR arranged for the alloy bells to be made by a local firm. I also deliberately used the centrifugally spun iron rotors from pfm because they have a much better coefficient of friction than the more usual stainless steel ones. I think they're off the rear of a ZZR600 - If you're seriously interested email me at home and I'll dig it all out. It all cost a lot more than planned though at circa £500 !

I can arrange to get some gundrilled shafts made for de dion cars if required - I'll use the same people who did my live axle ones.

Home of BDR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 24 Jan 2003 18:55:44