Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adding Weight - Fitting a spare wheel for touring

Garry7

• Leadership Team

Seeking the wisdom from POBC.

Having gathered all of the necessary parts I need t fit them to my car (2012 Roadsport SV). Ideally want to be able take it off for normal use.

Looks like bosses are in the rear chassis rail so is it just a case of removing the number plate and drilling through, then bolting / wiring?

Then the bit I'm most concerned about, fitting the wheel holding bolt, sleeve assembly. All guidance, experience gratefully received - my build manual simply states that the carrier will have been fitted at the factory if specified!

Thanks in advance

Garry

No Nigel, newer (Arch at least) rear baskets have the sleeves welded into the lower tube, and just covered over by the rear panel.

The way the newer tyre rack fits is it has threaded studs that you feed through the lower tube and into a nut that that you slide in between the front edge of the tube and the fuel tank, then tighten the nut as you feed in the threaded ends of the carrier.

The disadvantage of this design is that if you get rear ended, you end up with two nut shaped dents (or possibly holes!) in the fuel tank *rolleyes* 

"Then the bit I'm most concerned about, fitting the wheel holding bolt, sleeve assembly."

Early cars didn't have the central fixing for the spare wheel, the wheel was/is secured with a strap. (The strap also retains the luggage carrier if used)

WheelStrap.jpg.2ef63d61bb8fb0d903a644482311ee37.jpg

The wire passing through a stud hole is a lock.