Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dedion tube and suspension fixing

jackb_ms

Hello All

On my 21, the Dedion tube has two fixing for the suspension, one under, and one in the middle of the tube

The suspension is currently fitted to the "under the tube" fixing.

With regards to the handling, what consequence would it have to the handling if I move the suspension to the "in the middle" fixing?

Jack

If you did nothing elses, it would move the rear of the car up by 50mm(?). This would encourage oversteer. The centre hole is a stronger mounting position and is the one I would use if you can drop your spring platforms 50mm(?)

Subject to nothing fouling on a 21 ....

In all likelihood as you are currently fitted in the undertube bracket you have the longer rear shocks. These were introduced to allow longer rear suspension bump to rebound travel.

If you fit these through the "through the tube" hole, the de Dion tube will hit the lo gditudinal chassis tube that runs below it. adjusting the spring seat does not influence the full bump and full rebound position of the strut. Peter

This opens up a can of older worms around the lengthy debate on variances of dedion tubes as from memory some with lower mountings ( later variants ) were stronger than the older versions.

what I would like to understand is why the centre mount was removed if this was the case and how many owners with the option for centre mounting actually opted for a shorter rear shock when retro fitting?

The next question (and this will require someone with some expertise...Simon) is does running a shorter rear shock show any major difference given that there would be less travel? I guess this is compensated with dampening etc?

It's relevant to your post but also helps me understand the best option to minimise the risk of the dedion tearing as I am also looking to fit new shocks. I guess the other option and perhaps the best is to strengthen the lower dedion mounts?

food for thought.

The longer shock allows about 20mm of extra travel. Significant in keeping rear suspension from going to full bump, especially when using a multi-rate spring when the higher rate part can made shorter to interfere less with ride at normal ride level.