Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Extending a lambda sensor cable

green george

I have a 1999 1.6 Superlight (EU2 SuperSport ECU).  I am thinking about having an Exhaust By Design (EBD) system fitted.  I have been advised by them that the Lambda Sensor wiring will need to be extended (by me) as the sensor is relocated to just in front of the silencer.

Can anyone advise me if this is an easy job to do? I presume it is a case of either purchasing a sensor with a longer loom or extending the orginal loom (if so, what gauge wire and connectors would you recommend - see comment below)

In any case, I guess it will be necessary to drill a hole in the side skin to re route the loom and therefore it would be prudent to be able to use bullet connectors to minimise the size of hole in the side skin.

An alternative to cutting and soldering would be to make up a sub-loom to run between the existing connector halves (Econoseal?).    You should be able to get all the bits you need (connectors, terminals, wire, crimping tool) here.  Of course, you might prefer to get an auto electrician to make it for you.

JV

• 1 month later...

Right I am going to extend the loom and use the econoseal connectors.  A question for anyone who has extended the loom for a lambda  sensor mounter in front of the silencer is "How long does the extension need to be"?  I have got a figure of 8" - 11" in my head but cannot find where I got that from!

Because, I am away from home so cannot get to the car and a friend has offered to make one up for me, if I can specify the required length; hence my question.

Also, I also don't know where the lambda sensor will be located as I have a standard Caterham internal collector system (with the sensor in the manifold), which means measuring my current system is not ideal and therefore does mean I can get it wrong!

I would ask EBD to put a lambda boss in primary no.4 so you can retain the existing position as there is nothing to be gained by moving it to infront of the silencer with the MEMS ECU. The position in front of the silencer is used when mapping on a rolling road. EBD did this for me on my R500K.

You can run the wires under the side skin too, if you don't want to drill a hole in the side skin itself. 

Jaysus, why didn't I think of that?!  I could have done with reading two days ago!! *smash*