Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sheared off bolt that attaches the sump casing to the bellhousing

glasgow

Since I bought the car 5 years ago, one of the cap-head bolts that attaches the bellhousing to the back of the sump casing is sheared off.

here

It never gave me a problem and there is no leak. But I now need to remove the sump casing in order to replace the foam baffle.

A) I take it there is no way to remove the sump pan without removing these two bolts, right?

B) Is using a drill here not a good idea? any other suggestions to remove this sheared off bolt please?

C) after dealing with the bolt, anyone please could provide a part number/web link for a new bolt (I understand the bolt is M10X55mm cap-head with a spring washer)

Regards

Ahmed

Ahmed, I think you would be best getting the engine and gearbox out of the car as a unit, then remove the gearbox and bell housing, hopefully the broken bolt will not snag on the b/h.

You then have good access to the bolt, be sure to use plenty of Plusgas or better Wurth Rostoff, there is probably some dissimilar metal corrosion taken place. 

Cap head screws are extremely hard, you won't make any impression on it with a regular Cr-Vn drill, we use Cobalt drills at work when needing to remove broken screws. 

Nigel 

Second that. If no head, you should be able to slide the sump forwards once all the others are out. May need to tap it on the sides with a soft mallet to unstick the grip to the gasket. Watch out for the oil that will be left on the shelf of the sump gasket ... even when sump drained.

I think the sump may not be easily slided forward as it will hit in the plate that retain the foam baffle. Here is a pic from Geoff's article on LowFlying:

Here is a pic from Geoff article

Also, does the hole in the bellhousing has no tread so the bolt will slide though it? 

It is astonishing that someone managed to shear the head off an M10 cap head bolt, rather than strip the thread in the aluminium sump ?? Have you tried unscrewing the remains of the bolt by tapping the end of it anticlockwise gently with a centrepunch and hammer.

As above its amazing someone managed to shear the head off one of those bolts.

All the above are good suggestions, pity it's not able to slide forwards, what about using a Dremel to slot the visible end and then screwdrivering it out or drilling the bolt and using an easy-out, although neither would be easy as the bolt will be hard metal.

Thank you all. I hope one of the above suggestions will work. 

Now I need to get a replacement bolt. Anyone please could provide a part number/web link for a new bolt (I think it is  M10X55mm cap-head with a spring washer).

Thank you

Just another thought in case it is difficult to take the bolt out.

If using a drill and the bolt is rotated clockwise (ie getting screwed more into the sump until it falls off inside the sump pan), what could be damaged while the bolt is travelling into the sump? I can see the oil pick up and the strainer are away from the bolt path. The only thing I can think off being damaged is the tray that holds the foam? Easy replacable item - Am I correct? Any risk of anything else damaged?

You're right; the assembly guide says M10x55mm cap head. It doesn't mention a spring washer though, and I don't think mine had them. That doesn't mean that they should have spring washers of course!

No spring washers (or any other washers) to be used under these cap head bolts, the assembly guide is correct.

Can you try undoing all the bellhousing bolts and shifting the engine forwards enough so that the broken bolt clears the sump? Remove the sump and then it's easier to deal with on the bench.

Good idea Mankee, this is what I'd try, you only need to separate them half an inch - maybe not even fully undo the bellhousing bolts so that they don't fully come apart.

Even if the sump won't come forward far enough for the bolt to come fully out of the hole in the bell housing it should move far enough to get a hacksaw blade in and cut through it. I'd try just dropping the sump first though. 

I'd also check the other engine to bell housing bolts,  the head could have snapped off through bending rather than twisting if there is movement at the joint. 

I'd also check the other engine to bell housing bolts

Good advice.  Could the original snap have been caused by something (like a cat's-eye) clouting the bellhousing?  Is there any damage apparent?

If you can get the sump pan far enough forward (say, 10-15mm) to get a pair of grips in the gap, you might be able to unscrew the bolt that way.

JV