Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wilwood calipers - Hoopy?

fordy

in response to Hoopy really from a thread in ChitChat..............

I notice that the new Rally design catalogue lists 3 new different Caterham 7 front brake kits.

The older kit was Dynalite II calipers and solid discs (235mm) and is dead cheap. The new midilite calipers can be had with 235mm or 280mm discs, x-drilled if you like for more cost.

My thought were the 280mm discs might be over -braked and the midilight with 235mm drilled discs would be about right.

my thoughts were initially based on cost, searching for a good quality 4 pot brake upgrade without resorting to the expense of the AP calipers.

I am aware of the Alcons and have ready many reports, but am also aware of kits from HiSpec and Willwood, but have not read many reports on their effectiveness.

The reason for this posting was initially because I saw that hoopy was dreaming of a willwood set-up to replace his AP set-up and I was wondering why...........

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not looking a willwood specifically. I just want a nice light alloy 4 pot calliper designed to take solid disks that are a large as will fit in a 13" wheel. The APs need a vented disk which approx 2kg heavier than a skimmed solid disk and a they're more expensive (i think they're 120 each, or that may be for the pair - skimmed is 170 a pair).

Willwood and alcon have been mentioned. I'll be getting the hispec rear 2 pots with integral handbrake so I may get hi-spec fronts as well if they do something suitable.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

I have "Hi-Spec Racing 4" billet aluminium calipers and they are as they say "the muts nuts".

Someone will tell you that the Racing 4's do not have dust seals - true but neither do Caterhams AP's nor James Whitings Alcons. Anyway provided you clean the piston off before pressing back into the caliper when changing pads, then there's no problem.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens

i think i'm getting ready to open a book on hi-spec calipers for a bulk buy. should be able to get a decent discount and enocurage them to bring out the 2pot handbrake equipped rears a bit sooner if we have an order for a dozen pairs with them...

looks like they'll get my front caliper business as well.

Now, I just need to persuade somebody to buy my front APs to fund all this...

How much were the "Racing 4" calipers Steve 🤔

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Just a word on the Wilwood setup. I believe these fit OK in live axle setups but I tried their disk on my de dion and the disc fouled the track rod end. I know other people have experienced this and have either gone elsewhere, machined their hubs down so the discs move outward and away from the track rod end or I did hear of one person that took and angle grinder to the track rod end!!!

Dave,

If I remember correctly my kit (calipers, brackets, discs, brake pipes and bolts) was around £475 + VAT but this was a year ago so I guess they might have gone up a bit.

I would definitely be interested in the 2 pot rears from Hi-Spec. Do you know if (a) they will use the standard disks and (b) will the handbrake cable just connects direct to the new caliper without any mods?

Hoopy,

I wouldn`t hold your breath on the Hi Spec rear calipers, I have it in goog authority that they have been promising these for years and produced nothing to date.

Do not dismiss the Caterham uprated fronts, the vented kit is still lighter than the standard 2 pot solid disc set up. The disc rotors are of a very high quality steel and are very durable not to be compared with some of the £20 crossdrilled disc on offer from a well know supplier.

Be aware also that some of the best Pads do not fit the Willwood Calipers.

Rob

Let me get this right Hoopy.

You are selling your AP front setup to buy a lesser performing setup????

Loopy Hoopy.....

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k

Edited by - fast arnie on 22 Jan 2003 23:43:37

BTW, Rob, I agree that HiSpec have been promising the handbrake equipped rear calipers for ever now, but they had the prototype at the Autosport show so it looks like things may be moving forwards. I still wouldn't put any money on it though...

Rob:

I've seen the Hi-spec prototype so they're getting close. If a load of us say here's our money it can only help speed them up. I can't afford them for 6 months anyway so a lead time isn't a problem. I can always keep waiting and spend my money on other seven things in the meantime if they take longer...

The AP kit is lighter than the standard setup because the calipers are alloy. The disks will be heavier.

I was going to source the disk from Fluke who will then lighten them. They have tested their lightened disks with RS14 pads (the ones meant to eat disks) and had no problems after 10,000 miles in a Vx westie. The lighter disks are cheaper than the AP ones as well.

Arnie:

No need to reply because...

DanB/Steve:

*thumbup*

I think saving 4 kg, having cheaper disks and, being open minded, similar braking performance is a benefit. Steve reckons they're stupendous becuase he has them. Arnie reckons they aren't because he doesn't have them...

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Steve,

The extensive data can be obtained from anyone who has used them. No fade, quick warmup and as Rob has said, unbelievable durability.

Oh and my AP calipers do have dust seals.........

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k

What do Caterham use vented disks just for fun?

4Kg saved sounds like a little too much to me I didn't think you could possibly save that from the disks.

I reckon the AP's are excellent and give consistently great performance.

Yes AP do have a good brand name I wonder why?

Fordy, I have the Hi Spec 280MM solid discs with four pot calipers, and they are excellent. This set up doesn't result in overbraking, in fact because of the greater diameter you have a lot more control, all the way to lock up, very easy to use with a lot of "feel". Very light too.

Mike.

The extensive data can be obtained from anyone who has used them. No fade, quick warmup and as Rob has said, unbelievable durability.

Yep just like my Hi-Spec setup - no fade, very quick warmup BELIEVABLY durable and would stop an Intercity 125 doing 125mph 😬 😬

I started off originally interested in the Hispec stuff as I had heard the problems with the Wilwwod setup.

Its just that there seems to me 2 new Willwood setups based on the new midilite calipers (using 235 or 280mm discs). Newly listed in the 2003 Rallydesign catalogue (their website still showing old catalogue though). I doubt anyone has tested these yet though, they were only slightly more expensive than the older Willwood Dynalite setup. I only noticed the range of pads available for the midilites was even less than the Dynalites.

The Hispec website seems to be perpetually down. Those who bought the Hispec setups...can you let me know what you ordered. ISTR they did specifically mention Caterham on the website. Costs might be helpful too. Might be tempted into a bulk buy on Hispecs then Hoopy.