Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhausted

ChrisC

Hi All

I phoned BTB yesterday afternoon to see if they could do a carbon exhaust for my otherwise standard 97 VX 2ltr with carbs. However they have stopped producing them.

The main reason for a exhaust change is the original 4-1 Caterham unit is very loud, and I assume the packing material has long since departed. I would like to get the sound levels down for track days.

I have scanned the archives and have finalised my new exhaust choice to either of the following.

1, Stainless steel, made by Hayward and Scott (very local to me) with a 2.5” inlet (original manifold retained but collector enlarged).

2, Raceco Ti system either 6.25” or 7.25” again with 2.5” inlet.

2.5” inlet has been chosen because I don’t intend keeping the engine standard for long. *wink*

I have two questions.

Does the Raceco Ti system turn blue with heat, like I have seen of some motorbikes, and has anyone got a picture of this effect?

You can only find praise from H&S, but I have seen no pictures of their Caterham work, has anyone got a picture? (full stainless please)

Finally exhaust guards, what size exhaust guards can I get in silver and do I need one? Burning the wife’s legs would be a very bad move. 😳 (The original reason I decided to fit a Carbon unit)

Hope you can help

Chris.

I've got at least one pic of my H&S Vaux system here at work. I've got more detailed pics at home. Mail me.

I've not got a guard & it would look daft with one. It gets hot but only the tailpipe is a danger - which you have with the standard guard anyway. It is a good quality system & fitted easily. I had to wait 4 weeks for it though.

Chris

The Raceco silencer doesn't go blue with heat. I think the bike ones are done with a welding torch to give that effect. The only time it would go blue is if the packing should burn out. As the Ti silencer has a self adhesive sticker you get some warning if you've left it too long. The sticker starts to melt.

I made a note of the weight of my silencer and occasionally take it off an re-weigh it (I use fishing scales hooked into the hole where the rear bobbin bolts on). If it is under weight, its time to re-pack. On my road car I re-packed twice using a total of 600 grms over the course of a year /10,000 miles. The packing material is very high quality and has good insulation properties so a guard is not neccessary. I have been a passenger in a car fitted with an aluminium version of the silencer and I was resting my hand on it for around 15 minutes. It didn't get that hot at all. The titanium one gets hotter. If you touched it with your ankle by accident it would make you jump but not burn you. It's the pipework you need to be carfeul of.

Delivery currently one week.

AMMO