Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Filling Dry Sump

PhilKing

Thanks to everyones help, I am now able to change the oil in my dry sumped, k series, it is the Caterham bell housing tank variety. My question is how is best to fill with oil, do I fill the tank through the bell housing dip stick tower or through the cam cover filler. My thought was 50/50 so cover both tank and sump, but does anyone know the correct method.

Appreciate any tips and pointers.

Phil

• Support Team

About 4 litres into the tank and then about a litre into the cam cover was how I was told. If you put too much through the cam cover you'll fill the cylinders with oil *eek* 

It might take a bit less than 5 litres depending on how much you got out.

I fill mine in the same way as Shaun, there isn't a great deal of point in putting it in the cam cover as it will just get pumped into the tank as soon as the engine turns over.  However if you try and put it all into the tank it gets a bit tight for space without some oil running around the engine.

So if you have a DS tower, do you fill via the tiny cap/dipstick (~8mm hole), or do you unbolt the top of the tower?  When I first filled with my new DS tower, I put about half the oil in the cam cover opening, pumped the oil round on the starter motor, then added the rest, as I didnt want ti disturn the sealing of the DS top cap assesmbly.  

I unbolt the top cap on the DS tower and fill from there.

I would have thought using the scavenge pump to fill the tank from the sump is perfectly ok as long as the engine doesn't fire. If you're worried you could take the scavenge pump belt off and spin the pump with a drill to get some oil in the tank without risking turning the engine over.

Sounds fine to me Tom.

My comment 'if you're worried' was in regard to turning the motor over without any oil in the tank particularly after an engine out job rather than an oil change.  There are many ways to stop the engine from firing most of which are easier than taking the pump drive belt off to fill the tank in the first place.