Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil escaping ...... Thoughts please

Tigger

What I thought might be a one-off animal looks as though it could be  rather more serious.  

The symptoms....

K-series, belll housing dry sump  - 

• Oil escaping from exhaust manifold side. Only while engine is running.
  • Oil runs down the side of the block washing down the alternator bracket and dripping from joint between engine and gearbox. It doesn't appear to be a leaking can seal.
  • There also seems to be oil spray on exhaust headers.
  • It doesn't look like the cam cover seal either.
  • There is no oil/ water contamination 

So the question is, what is the most likely suspect?

Tim

HeadGasketOilways.jpg.e99921033a2b64c9a556868b344cc6a1.jpg

Looking at the above, I would have thought it would be unlikely to be HGF if it's leaking a lot of oil along the side of the block. Other than at the ends, any escaping oil will be straight into water and not to the outside of the block. I'm not familiar with the plumbing for a dry sump but is it possible you have a leak in an external oil pipe somewhere that is spraying oil onto the side of the block?

PS: I notice you have changed the title so it doesn't mention HGF any more. I was responding to the original title!

Ah! Well spotted that I changed the title...... As I was typing I realise a HGF would have been unlikely as oil and water would need to mix if there was a failure between the oil ways and the gasket.  I was hoping that I was quick enough in changing the title that no-one would spot it... Clearly not. 

It's good to know that you have the same reasoning as me.

Without it being a cam seal or cam cover seal failure I'm struggling to think what else on that side if the engine it could be.

Tim

You need as a fiest step to degrease the engine. You havent a hope of identifying the source until you have done this.

So more info please

Which K?

Does it have a 1/ 2 sized appolo tank?

Oil Cooler?

On the exhaust side there are only a few external oil pipe connections so agree photos are needed AFTER the wash down. and as you run the engine up. the more the merrier 

Thanks for the replies, you must all be back from nice days out. :)

live de-greased and it does seam as though it's coming from the dizzy cap end.  There appears to be oil on the bell housing both sides of the oil filler cap.  Cam shaft seal on exact side seams ok but haven't popped off the dizzy cap yet.

The dry sump is a bell housing without Apollo tank, when looking at the top of he bell housing there is a angle union which goes into the top (between the cap and the dizzy in the photo) this can rotate. Is this normal or shouldn't be tight?

i've put the car to bed for thenightso will investigate further tomorrow in daylight.

thanks for all the replies.

tim

1.8 K with Dizzy

No Apollo tank

Leaks only when running

No oil cooler

xlarge_image_0.jpg.f35b7e61cb5b39e88d1b70a1e800eb9b.jpg

Hi, the union is the dry sump pump to belltank feed and has a washer and should be tight, oil moves around in belltank on cornering so could be source of leak, tighten up and go again, angle of engine could see oil flow towards engine block, cheers

Hi SM25T,  That is looking to be increasingly the most likely suspect. The union is the one which goes from the top of the dry sump to the catch tank and had become rather loose.  As it needs to align with the dirction hose, and there is no locking nut as such, can I use plumbers' PTFE tape ore should I get some suitable fibre washer?

On other fronts, I popped off the Dizzy and found that there was a bit of oil around the cam shaft seal but it didn't look as though it had popped out, I gave it a tap with a large socket never-the-less.

My thoughts also started to consider the issue of pressure.  This oil leak happened after my last service where the old oil catch tank was replaced with a new one.  In the old tank the hoses were pretty loose in their holes but now in the new tank they're considerably tighter.  Could it be that this caused some additional pressure in the system, or doesn't it work like that?

Tim

You'll either have a cone end fitting where a taper male seats in an angled female ... which needs no seal ... but faces must be clean and scratch free . . Or a compression fitting that needs an olive outside the pipe to get compressed by the nut ... or if a flat ring round the pipe under the nut ... then a sealing washer is needed.

OK,  having had a good chance to investigate further I've tracked down the cause of the leak......

Crank shaft oil seal  *banghead*

So engine out, split the gearbox and replace a cheapie seal...... or take it to a man.

On that note, I've been toying with the idea of stripping the car and re-building it and since the engine has to come out it seems an appropriate time to look at the 'opportunity' more seriously!  Always a silver lining (albeit with a lighter wallet!)

Thanks for the advice and thoughts.

Now......,  time to browse the accessories catalogues and consider what colour to paint it......   *coffee*

Tim