Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Imobilising a seven using the rev limiter

julians

I have just bought a zetec powered seven (dont collect it till saturday though), which has a DTA ECU. Now the car will be locked in a garage in a less than glamourous part of town, and it doesent have any immobilisers or anything, so I've been trying to think of ways to immobilise it so the local scallies cant nick it.

The best way I can think of is to when I leave the car adjust the rev limit using the DTA software down to either such a low limit that the car wont start or so that it will only idle and not rev any higher than that.

can anyone see any problems with doing this, will it damage the engine if it is attempted to start with the limit set at say 500rpm, can the limit be set back up high again without problems starting it up again.

Will the ecu reset itself back to a default if the power is connected?

Any other advice?

Cheers

Julian

Hi

Have a look at the way the ECU is installed into the car and if not already on a military/aircraft quality quick release plug and socket you could adapt it so it was, then just remove the ECU from the car then a removable momo steering wheel and the thief now needs a trailer/car transporter.

Paul.

paul

The ECU won't reset the rev limit every time power is connected to it -

otherwise you'd need to reprogram it every time you switch the ignition on.

It would seem to be a helluva pain to have to carry your laptop around to reprogram the rev limit every time you want to use the car. Removing the ECU would be seem a better option, or something smaller like the fuel pump relay (if that's possible) or even just a fuse or two.

Mike

If I were to put the ecu on a quick release type socket, would it have problems reatining all its settings if it is unplugged from the cars battery for a long time (say 3-4 weeks).

I have no idea how these ecu's store their data, is it on battery backup or static ram/eprom?

Its not my garage.

I'm only keeping it there because its dry and I'm trying not to knacker the polished aluminium bodywork too quickly.

Talking of which does anyone have any tips for keeping the aluminium nice and shiny and corrosion free, apart from not driving it and polishing it every day.

Julian

Peter.

I'm sure you've been a real help to poor Julians. He'll sleep much better for your advice-------NOT!

Julians:- What part of what town (without being to specific!)?

A large motorcycle 'U'lock through a road wheel is an obvious visual deterent (with a locked wheel stud). Makes it a $%d to move!!!!!!!!

Mike: Is that true? I have been bedevilled on a test cell contract with a engine that goes back to its default 'pre-delivery' map every time we disconnect it. We have to re-load the running map to get it to run over 4500 rpm.

I certainly would not want to unplug the ECU to disable the car. There are a number of cunning devices but it is not so much the theif you have to fool as the insurance company you have to convince

It will be kept in fallowfield in Manchester, I dont know if one of those motorcycle locks will fit rhrough prisoner wheels.

I think the best bet (aprt from the physical locks) is to set the rev limit low, so anyone any idea if this will work/do damage etc etc

Julian

Ever thought about getting an immobiliser fitted. They are quite effcetive.

THere is also the option of Tracker as well

www.thankstotracker.com

Not sure if there is a suitable place to hide it on a 7

So we cant temp you with a track day on Anglesey next weekend. 99 quid inc room and nosh

www.bookatrack.com

or see Speaking of more track days on ChitChat

Andrew

Edited by - Andrew Dent on 25 Nov 2000 10:24:05

I tend not to fill up the car if I know it's going to sit around for a while - bit of a hassle having to go to a petrol station when out for a blast but means if it went missing it wouldn't get too far without appearing on camera.

The other thing to do is connect the plug leads the wrong way, if you leave them unplugged it's obvious why it won't run. If you can do structural stuff to the garage then a post fitted and bolted into the floor (like in car-parks) in the middle of the entrance with a loop that pokes through a slot on the door with a shielded padlock is doubly goog - garage doors are easy to open and it will prevent the car being driven or towed out.

Bike mags usually cover this subject every so often - the best suggestion I saw was to rig up a mouse trap to complete an electical circuit when it snapped shut - fix the pin to fishing line attached to the door - use the electrics to trigger a theatrical special effects explosion - maroon I think they're called - which is placed in a bag in a ice cream tub of old oil, paint, fish paste, tabasco sauce etc. When someone opens the door the mixture explodes scareing them and covering them with crap. The mag tried it out and it was very effective - make sure you get a good car cover though...

If the garage has power don't store any power tools or disable the power supply. No point chaining it up if you've got angle - grinders etc lying around.

Make sure you're not followed to the garages by anyone - bikers take long routes home if they have someone paying too much attention..

Piers

I haven't tried this but I am very tempted to.

Battery powered alarm from BnQ or similar bolted onto a cupboard at one end of the garage, they are only plastic and can be bashed off fairly easily. Drill hole through the cupboard.

Buy halon gas fire extinguisher, remove pin and then wire through the hole to the back of the alarm.

Said scally scumbag enters garage, loud alarm goes off, attempts to silence alarm, halon extinguisher goes off, thief unable to breathe forced to exit garage (or this mortal coil which is probably a better result!). Just be careful when replacing the alarm batteries. smile.gif

Tony - yes it is most definitely true. If you think about it it must be. E.g. you don't have to reprogram the ECU when you change a cars battery. E.g. when you buy a kit from Caterham the ECU loom connector is on the engine loom which is attached to the engine which is separate from the chassis - the ECU is sitting in the chassis not attached to anything. If the ECU is losing settings when it's power source is removed then it's faulty.

Mike

I don't want to be a kill joy but be careful when setting up traps to scare off theives. If injury is cause you could be liable to procecution. It happened to a mate of mine you set up a small explosive charge in his garden hut because he was sick of having his mower stolen. The hut got burgled again but this time the theif not only got paint all over himself but the lid from the tin hit in in the head causing permanent scaring. Mind you served the git right.

How about an explosive charge et up so that when the thief sits on the seat a large metal spike comes up though the seat...ouch

Had this arguement down the pub a while ago....

If some bugger nicks your car it could be ages before it's found, could well be trashed and will probably have been doing doughnuts on a council estate.

So it will take ages to get either the car back or a payout, and when you get the car back it won't be the same as before...

However if the car was written off you'd get paid out much quicker and get a car that hadn't been trashed and crashed by a thief, and they'd have some nasty injuries as well as being more likely to be caught 'cos they couldn't run away.

What if your brakes fail when a thiefs at the wheel? Are you negligent / liable? Tricky... Law students love problems like this.

It would only take one or two high profile 'accidents' before the average joy-rider starts having second thoughts....

Mind you if they get chased by the coppers they usually end up stuffed into the side of an innocent motorist.

Always make sure that someone elses car is easier to nick than yours, and you're sorted.

Piers

Without getting too deppresing, you can't afford to injure a potential thief. An off duty policeman (friend) told me that if someone broke into the house what you have to do is kill him and then claim self defence. Something along the lines of dead men don't tell tales, BUT, 36 stab wounds in the back won't be seen as reasonable force!!!If only injured the thief will take you for all you're worth.

Not sure if a certain Tony Martin would agree with him though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!