Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Top Ball Joint starting point

ChrisC

Hi All 

I am in the middle of fitting a wide track kit to my 2011 metric car, I have noticed the top ball joints on the upper wishbones are lose, no problem, but what it the correct number of turn as a starting point.

I know 1 turn = 1/4 degree of neg camber?

Hope some one can help 

Chris 

Plan B 

I am using CR500 so I assume -2 to -2.5 degrees is my target camber.  

I have a digital angle gauge, I could zero this on the top chassis rail, then level the bottom wishbone to this zero, then measure the angle on the stub axle relative to the chassis.   This should give me a accurate meassurement without the perfectly level gurage floor. 

Anyone see a flaw in this plan ??

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok maybe I am asking the wrong question.  

How about this.

if you have a widetrack metric car with approximately 2 degrees of -ve camber, can you accurately measure the number of threads exposed on the top ball joint, or count the visable threads for me?

Many thanks 

Chris.

If that doesn't work try copying an accurate measurement between the end of the wishbone and the center of the ball joint .

The trouble with counting threads is that batches of joints will be different . CC have taken to adding more thread to some batches of joints so that the cars can be run with more negative camber with the ZZR tyres . How do I know ? Because on my car one side had no visible thread and the other " loads " I ended up having to swap one of the joints so that there was enough adjustment to suit the camber setting I wanted .