Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New build. Brake union question

LawrenceR

It looks OK to me. I think I added another very thin washer under the lock one to protect the skin. The important thing is to make sure you are tightening the brake pipe against the metal face and the nut isn't running out of thread.

Duncan

It looks like you've found an error in the Assembly Guide here.  Fig 35 on p69 refers to 2. Plain washer.   I think that should read 2. 3/8" nut.

In your set-up, you have a plain washer between the ali skin and the shakeproof.  I would suggest you remove that and just have the shakeproof.  Note that there should be a plain washer on the outside of the skin.

JV

It's not the first error and I am sure it won't be the last I find.

I suggested to Derek that they put a version on line that kit builders can modify when they find errors or better methods. These are then reviewed and rectified or rejected by the factory before the actual version is updated.

Derek did tell me they are moving to a drawing based instruction manual at some point. The sooner the better

It's not the first error and I am sure it won't be the last I find.

When I built my current 7 (in 2008), I offered CC a list of all the errors and ambiguities I encountered in the AG.  They accepted gratefully, and even incorporated (most of) my comments in later versions. 

I suggested to Derek that they put a version on line that kit builders can modify when they find errors or better methods. These are then reviewed and rectified or rejected by the factory before the actual version is updated.

That's an excellent suggestion.  Let's hope it bears fruit.

JV

Duncan's point above is a good one.  When I build my Supersport I did my best to follow the manual but iirc I ran out of thread connecting up the three way connector at the rear. Fortunately I noticed and did call the factory for advice.  Unfortunately I cannot recall what they said or what I did!

• Leadership Team

The issue was plain washers where they shouldn't be I seem to remember, been looking for my annotated notes from my build, no luck just yet. Definitely too many washers at the front too in my manual.  Oh and they sent me S3 front brake lines for an SV. *redface*

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to torquing up the brake unions, do people use crows feet attached to their torque wrench? It's the first time I've tried to use them, and it doesn't feel as certain as a proper socket.

Also, I'm not sure how the torque can be exactly accurate, unless the crows foot is exactly at 90deg to the wrench shaft. 

Advice most welcome, chaps!

Ned

I didn't use a torque wrench, just the correct spanner and sensible pressure. I did use a crow's foot to torque the upper damper bolt. In theory 90degrees to the torque wrench should keep the effective length much such the same.