Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tillett seats for S3 Caterham: B4 or B6?

anthonym

The B4 is inclined and Steve Tillett says designed for those with a shorter leg length and longer back (i.e. me) whereas the B6 is for normal people ("normal" being my word not his).

Details are here (scroll down on arrival): https://www.tillett.co.uk/car-racing-seat.asp

I was worried about new seats spoiling the look of a 1987 car, but based on the originals (which I will keep) being black leather I think all black Tillets will look ok. 

Why change? I know from my own experience in this car that many hours in the driving seat become uncomfortable, my left side aches badly. These seats weren't designed for such long duration - or they were and that's the way the world was in those days. And now we have Tilletts.

Does anyone here have B4s? or indeed B6s?

The B6s are the K R500 type, albeit not identical because the deal with Caterham is exclusive.

Also for info, apparently the new Tilletts for Caterham in the 620R are designed with a better driving position where the driver's shoulder is not practically outside the car. This is achieved by a slight alteration to the angle of the seat in the car. This is built in to the Caterham exclusive seats. Other seats can be altered by means of the spacers fitted beneath.

Most of the above is from an interesting chat with Steve Tillett; a very helpful gent (contact details from the above link). I am due to visit his premises at some point to compare these; however before that time I will be very interested to hear any voices of experience about these very important matters of life.

I have used Tilletts for nigh on 11 years for tens of thousands of miles and often ten hours a day, day after day. They are sublimely comfortable. So I am "sold". After such time it is tempting to just buy the same again, but it's a lot of cash and I am wondering how the newer tech has improved things - though how to improve what seems to me to be perfection as yet beats me. Also used seats seem to be unavailable, or if they are to be not much less in price than buying new, so may as well buy new.

Don't hesitate to phone me to chat - the number above is UK and current, I will be very happy to talk upgrades. :-)

• Support Team

We switched from a standard Caterham Tillett to a B6 a couple of years ago. Because we are mostly using it with crash helmets and the B6 has the headrest moved back a bit from the std Caterham position it is more comfortable.

I have used a standard Caterham tillet for 10 years, and although it does push my head forward a little with a helmet on, it was never a problem. However, I'm now using a HANS and it is a big issue as you have a inch or two of the HANS in addition to the helmet.

Shaun (or anyone): does the B6 work with a HANS OK? It's pretty expensive!

I'd also thought of a W1i which is effectively a B6 without the headrest (apparently).

• Support Team

Hi Charles - not tried it with a HANS although part of the reason for getting the B6 was so that we could, in future, use one. The belt holes are certainly better designed to allow HANS use where the std Caterham seat is limited. You are welcome to try it anytime. I'm in Hampshire (not far from Basingstoke) or I will be at Goodwood on 25th April for the first sprint of the year.