Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lower front shock absorber mounting.

Peter G

Chaps, can someone advise of the allen head socket size required for this cap head bolt, I've tried a 5.5mm loose allen key in there, a good fit but not perfect, but wonder whether it's an imperial size as a 5.5mm seems to not be readily available?

Thanks

5/16 hex from memory.  

You definately want the right size for this, as buggering it by rounding the hex on a corroded ali sleeve means all manner of grief, possibly including drilling out the sleeve and ruining the wishbone.  Id definately use a proper socket, not an allen key, gently tapped into the seating to ensure a good firm placement before turning, especially if it been in a few years.  Dont forget the copper grease on reassembly.

Thanks chaps, mines a 2000 c ar so an old imperial one, Graham I'll give you a call, but it won't now be btill after the weekend.

Copious quantities of Plusgas have been squired all over these little blighters,so fingers crossed they come out nice and easy.

I'd echo comments above. Definitely get a proper socket key and not an "L" key or cheap 2 part socket key. You need all the rigidity you can get if the joint is in anyway stiff. It'll pay in the long run ....

7/32" for me