Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedometer stopped working (sigma)

Martin J

On Sunday's blat I noticed my speedo was flicking about a bit & then it stopped working. Back home & found the wire had come out of the end of the sensor. It does look pretty delicate & it is nearly 8 years old now. So £65 later & caterham have sent me a new one. Fitted it this evening, plugs together snugly & senor possitioned about 1mm from the toothed ring & it it still doesn't work. *rage* 

Does anyone have any ideas please? Possible a duff sensor, I will ring CC tomorrow. 

How does it work? I assume it's optical but appears to have a rubber end to it. No visible light but perhaps it's infra red?

You could be right in that it works on hall effect & is therefore magnetic rather than optical. Although the wheel it aligns with looks plastic to me but perhaps has some metal in it somewhere?

Where is Mick Attree when you need him?  *byebye*

*byebye*

Yep, suffered this on the IOM.

Martin, the sender will (if CC haven't changed it) light up (at the back where the cable exits) as the teeth on the ring pass past, my new one seemed to be quite relaxed on the position (ie it worked with up to 4mm gap)

I'm on call this weekend and am picking up the new Motor on Saturday, but if you want to come past on Sunday, we can take the sensor off mine and test if you like?  I'm also 1/2 days most of next week, so can do then too.  I had a tidying session in the "Mancave" aka Garage up, so we can work in releatve comfort with both 7's under cover!!

Mike

Thanks for the offer of help Mike, will let you know. I felt the replacement was rather expensive for what it is but no choice as the old one had fallen apart.

i would like to see your new car & posh garage mate. Mick has given me a couple of things to look at.

i thought I was down to fit you a Hive but don't know what happened there?

• Leadership Team

Jonathan, it's a CC Workshop mod. I can send it over later if you like, have it on PDF.

it basically adds an earth at the rear of the car before the sensor plug. My continually flickering speedo has not messed about since the mod.

Martin, move the sensor gradually away from the toothed wheel - mine is at least 2mm - failed to work at first like yours, gradually moved it further out until it started working.

SUCCESS.  My thanks to Mick Attree for advice over the phone & some tips from people here on blat chat.

i brought the gap out to about 4mm & it worked fine. At this stage it doesn't appear to need the extra earth & it worked fine without it for nearly 8 years up until the point the wire broke.

i am intrigued as to how the light beam works with a rubber bung on the end? As Mike says you can see it flashing around where the cable joins the sensor 

• 2 months later...

Hi Martin

Just wanted to check how you tested the sensor as I was being completely dim last night when I fitted a new one to my car - it's not working. 

I'm not going to explain how I was trying to test it as it's too stupid. Having thought about it since, I reckon that as long as the ignition is on, I can 'wave' the sensor near the cogs (rather than have them turning in front of the sensor) and I should at least see the light at some point? This will prove that it's working.

Then, having fitted the sensor (it's a very tight fit with the caliper...), just turning the hub should trigger a signal and, therefore, the light once it's in the correct position. Correct?

Simon

I got mine working last night.

I ended up making a small bracket to move the sensor away from the calliper as it was a very tight fit! I also covered the wires in cable shrink stuff to hopefully remove the chance of any chaffing.

2mm worked for me too.