Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How loW CAN YOU GO??

solstice

When we fitted a VVC head to my car I lost some ground clearance because the engine had to be canted over a little, it  now looks a bit like it is on stilts compared to other sevens, what is the realistic minimum sump clearance for road use?

Thanks

G

Chaps, I too had this problem when I fitted a vvc engine, in fact it wouldn't fit even with the correct engine mount, I had to get the plenum adjusted to clear the bonnet. The new mount lowers the engine by about 20mm I recall. I'm about to fit adjustable platform billies to jack it up a bit (I'm on 13" rims) as the sump has kissed a couple of cats eyes already. I aim to get the lower wishes level and go from there, any improvement on what I have now will be a good thing, the I'll be round to Mr 6speeds to aim for a flatish floor. *byebye*

Hi Peter

I've got about 70-75mm of sump clearance, but the body sits quite high due to the engine being canted over which was necessary to get bonnet clearance, I did wonder whether a dry sump would give me a bit more clearance, but it is an expensive solution.

I did wonder whether a dry sump would give me a bit more clearance, but it is an expensive solution.

An alternative expensive solution is to ditch the plenum and fit throttle bodies. Then you can put the engine back in its original position, as it will all fit within the confines of the bonnet with an appropriate filtration setup. The extra height of the VVC head's upper cam ladder (18mm or something like that?) doesn't make any difference. Expensive solution yes, but the noise and extra unicorn power = *driving*

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one...

I had my car flat floored last Autumn and I asked for an in between road/track set up. Generally I'm very happy with the results, but I measured my sump clearance at just 60mm!!

Is this too low for road use? How much suspension travel can you expect at the front under heavy braking? I've heard of some owners getting into fights with cats eyes, loosing miserably, and faced with a bill for a new sump.

Should I raise it back up or am I high enough to miss the cats eyes?

I'd be happy to raise the car 10mm on each corner myself, but would this screw up the corner weighting / flat floor set up? Or in other words, would it be best to get it flat floored again if I just want to raise the ride height?

Well if it can be confirmed that simply raising the ride height equally on each corner (i.e. equal number of turns on the shock adjuster) will NOT affect the flat floor / corner weight set up, then I'll do this myself. 

Are the C-wrenches required universal, or do I need one specific to the Bilsteins?

Looking at spring rates is an interesting approach, however, the car currently handles superbly and without knowing the existing spring rates I don't want to go down the road of messing about with that. I don't think I would want the ride any firmer for the road anyway...