Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheel offset questions.... the 'e' no. on wheels

C7GCS

I'm looking at some wheels for my 7 and they will fit but offset is 'e 18'.  Looking at my f&r 8-spoke 13" Caterham-Supplied KN alloys - they are marked something like 'e 24' - I'm not that familiar with which way off-sets go - so can anyone clarify whether 18s with fit my early 90s dedion car without fouling AP rear calipers, ARB linkage, discs, dedion ears etc.

Thanks

Looking at a few diagrams online it implies a lower e-marking will push the wheel outwards toward the outside of the wing, so I'm assuming now an e18 will push the wheel out further than the e24 standard Caterham fitment (or like fitting a 24mm-18mm = 6mm wheel spacer to a standard Caterham wheel) so I believe they'll fit.

I'd advise you to be a little careful with numbers on the back of wheels. Sometimes manufacturers use the same core tooling for different offset wheels and if the ET number is cast in it can therefore be wrong. If the number is stamped in it should be ok

Apologies if obvious, but, the width of the wheel will affect the offset you require/can fit.  Not so much of a problem if running 6" all round, but definitely an issue with eg 6" fronts and 8.5" rears.  

Also, worth noting changes to the front wheel will alter the scrub angle and affect the handling (although, probably not that critical if not driving on the ragged edge).

Regards,

Giles