Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel torque

Julian H

Anyone else feel that the standard Caterham wheel nut torque is too low?? Most other cars are 105Nm I believe

When I first used 75Nm, the next time I came to take the wheels off, a few of the bolts were alarmingly loose - barely more than finger tight! Since then I have gone to about 85Nm and not had the same issue

I've always understood that torque settings should be reduced (by maybe 30%) if the fastener is lubricated (say with copper grease), on the grounds that applying the specified (dry) torque would likely cause over-stretch.

Is this correct?  Perhaps the engineers out there could comment.

JV

Wheel nut torque as recommended by manufacturers is variable for reasons I dont understand fully.

A joint should be torqued up to a point that stops any movement between the 2 faces. Movement caused by the stud stretching (due to insufficient torque) and then relaxing (however small) will lead to eventual fatigue. Given that the studs are all generaly made of the same material why is the torque on my Lotus Elise 77ftlb and on my Caterham 40/45 ftlb given that the diameters and pitches of the threads  are the same. I can't accept that I load the wheel joint more on my Elise than my 7.

If you think of a nut/stud joint as if it were a tension spring holding the 2 faces together then you can stretch the spring to tension the joint (which is what you are doing to the stud when you torque up the nut). If my Elise stud/nut set up can take 77ftlb then for sure my Caterham can take the same, as that sort of loading isn't overstretching the spring (going past the studs yield point).

Perhaps it's something to do with the hub's ability to accept the loads put into the stud,

Not convinced

The convention is that torque figures assume a "lightly oiled" thread (which is nicely vague)

*confused*

Torque is only a general guide to load in a bolted joint. The only accurate way to asses load is to measure the bolt extension (which is why critical joints like big end bolts on high performance engines or the top of nuclear flasks for instance are measured not torqued)

.......and then you throw locking wheel nuts into the equation.

I don't have these fitted to the caterham but they are on the tintop wheels. Recently had some new tyres fitted by a good local independant tyre place & watching him torque up the wheel nuts (with a torque wrench & not just an air gun) he missed out the locking nut & did that by hand with a shorter lever.

I asked why & he said they have had a number snap over the years when torqued right up so they go a bit more gently with them.

I wouldn't want to live too close to a nuclear flask which had been torqued down. My experience is that joints of this nature are made with hydraulic bolt tensioners. (my company manufactured them .....)

Perhaps cost cutting strikes again !

*eek*

and then you throw locking wheel nuts into the equation.

Back in November, I went to fit my winter tyres (steel wheels) on my Mondeo.  The alloys come with locking nuts.  I tried the first one but simply could not shift it, even with a breaker bar.  All I succeeded in doing was mangling the ridged key.  The other non-locking nuts were also very tight but they came off OK with the breaker bar.  (Ford's specified torque is a whopping 140Nm.)

The wheels were last removed/refitted by the local Ford dealer during the annual service.  I took the car into them to explain the problem to the Service Manager and to ask for his advice. The upshot was that although they managed to shift the other three locking nuts, they had to resort to welding a nut onto the recalcitrant one in order to remove it.  I pointed out that I'd lubed the studs lightly with copper grease (as I've always done).  Could it be that his mechanic had not made any allowance for the lube and simply overtightened the nuts, I asked?  He didn't answer the question directly, but he did fit my winter wheels for me and supplied a new set of locking nuts, both FOC.  I guess he was inviting me to draw my own conclusion.

JV

I've always understood that torque settings should be reduced (by maybe 30%) if the fastener is lubricated (say with copper grease), on the grounds that applying the specified (dry) torque would likely cause over-stretch.

The important point for end users like us is that you don't change from the conditions used when the torque settings were specified and expect the same setting to remain appropriate. Changes that could affect the appropriate setting include lubrication, materials and fasteners such as washers.

When I first used 75Nm, the next time I came to take the wheels off, a few of the nuts were alarmingly loose - barely more than finger tight! Since then I have gone to about 85Nm and not had the same issue

That's very unusual. I'd have a good look at both threads. Open or closed nuts? What sort of wheels? How much stud do you have protruding from the hub?

Jonathan

I think that what SM25T describes is quite common.

This was recently discussed here, but for open nuts. There is a rule of thumb that engaged thead length should be a minimum of 1.5 x bolt or stud diameter. 

(For closed nuts there's also the potential problem that the recess isn't deep enough for the length of stud.)

Jonathan