Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calling International (electrial)Rescue

Tazio

Tazio said ... I am in need of some on-site assistance with my electrics, so if there is anyone who can help troubleshoot my problem, or can recommend a mobile auto electrician local to Nuneaton please don't hesitate to get in touch. The background is as follows, Swapped K series with a VX, lots of loom changes, new ecu, new circuits for fan, pumps,ecu. This was initial start up attempt. Connected battery, left ecu off, lights worked, fan over ride worked, hazards worked, though no indicators. Put ecu on, switched pump on, pumps primed, pressed Start, nothing, found faulty crimp on solenoid, tried again.......engine spun for a second then....nothing. No lights, no hazarrds, no pumps, no fuses blown.... I have spent the day confusing myself and have lost my way and need someone with greater understanding than I have. Any help would be appreciated. Alan

No battery is fine 12.65v, and as nothing now works, lights pumps hazards etc, neither does the Start button..it seems I have a floating voltage on the earth rail.

What I really need is some hands on skills who know what they are doing, or a recommendation of a local mobile auto electrician so they can ride to the rescue.

You say that the engine is earthed via the engine mount.....remember the engine mount is rubber bonded onto the metal part that is bolted to the chassis.

Just looked at my VX and the battery is earthed to the cylinder head via a short thick cable direct to the battery and the engine block is earthed with another thick cable to the chassis rail by the engine mount to chassis rail bolt.

Weird day today. Problem has simply 'disappeared' , everything now works, engine runs... so seems I have something intermittent in the loom, but at least I, have proved all the changes do work, now just have to find the blighter.

As far as the earthing arrangements I am quite happy with those, block direct to chassis, battery to chassis, via wiper motor mounting bolt earth point.