Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Starter Motor Wiring

Tazio

Can anyone confirm the correct wiring for a VX starter motor?

I have a brown wire from the start relay which I think is connected to one of the spade connectors on the solenoid ( does it matter which one?). On the screw on stud I have the output of the alternator, a red power lead and two brown leads. 

Is this correct?., the reason I ask is I don't know the serviceability of the starter, I have 12v to the brown lead that connects to the solenoid when I push the start button, but the solenoid doesn't respond....

If the solenoid doesn't do anything noticeable when it gets 12V feed (measured at its terminal, not the other end of any wire) then either its earth isn't made or it's knackered.

It's probably worth disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting both ends of the earth cable .

Jonathan

Alan,

forget your our wiring for a moment and try a fly lead directly from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid. A quick strike will determine whether it works, and tell you which terminal you need.

actually often best done out of the car with a spare battery.

then as long as your switched live works ok all should be good. The main terminal is a convenient connection point for significant positive connections. It is not due the starter particularly they join here.

Alan

As Mavic suggests take a feed from the battery live and touch the spade connector it shoud cause the solenoid to fire and as the piston pulls back it joins the connector with your alternator/ battery wires to the one going into the starter (internally) forcing the starter to turn.

The signal wire to the spade (or smaller 6mm stud if it has that is normally White/Red or White/ Brown