Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow won't fire

Terry Field

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Roger,

Managed to get a few minutes in the garage!

Just to be clear, by pump rods I assume you mean the accelerator valve which is held in place by a small plate.

I have taken both of these out and they seem to be clean, and moving freely. The same goes for the pump inlet and outlet valves.

However, you talk about the rods 'sitting high'. With the throttle closed they are virtually sitting on the carb body. The front carb pump is only about 1mm up, and the rear about 1.5mm. When the throttle is opened, the rod falls by that minute amount, but that is all. How high would you expect the rods to be proud of the body?

Regards

Terry

Now THAT really is helpful, at least in one way. It is clear that the cam on the spindle is not lifting the rod, so there seems be a problem there. But why is the same thing happening on both carbs? I guess I have got to the point where the carbs have to come off  *curse*.

Many thanks

Terry

I feel your pain, I spent months trying to sort out an unstable idle before i figured out that it was a broken tab washer on the throttle arm that was causing my problem. I got very good at removing the carbs, by attempt 5 I could get them off the car in under 10 mins.

On  the upside I now have a ball bearing throttle pedal pivot, altered cable angle for improved smoothness, twin cable linkage and a new found willingness to have a go at most jobs on the car.

*woohoo*   It started!

Having determined to take the carbs off and find out why the pump rods weren't lifting, I was just about to set to with the spanners when I decided just to give everything one more bash to see if anything changed. I held open the throttle and pumped the fuel pump rods manually (done this several times before) and I could hear petrol moving around. The next minute up popped the fuel pump rods to the level they should have been at.

Put it all back together and it started on the button. I still have no real idea what was wrong, or why it affected both carbs, but we are back on the road again, and I have learned a hell of a lot about Webers which I did't know before.

So it is a big THANK YOU *bow*  to everyone on Blatchat who helped out with such good advice, especially to Roger and Klunk. What an amazing club this is!

Cheers

Terry