Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Day Roll Bar Bolts

BigCol

Question a) Anyone know what size the half-thickness-headed bolts for a track day/FIA roll bar are please?  (as per http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=420)

Question b) Anyone got a tap and die of size (insert answer to the above question here) that I could borrow please?

Got the roll bar and the bolts but one thread won't catch, so suspect I need to clean it out (and maybe the bolt too now after repeated efforts)

What year is the roll bar?

If one bolt won't catch - the usual issue is that the hole in the turret within the car is not lining up exactly with the hole in the foot of the roll bar. Have you tried removing the roll bar and running the bolts into it directly to see if they are OK?

I ran the bolts into the bar off the car and whilst one was not as easy as the other, they both went in OK.  I then put the bar on the car, got one bolt in but couldn't get the other to bite.  Have since taken the bar off the car and have exactly the same issue - one is fine, the other isn't.

I suspect I exasperated the issue whilst it was on the car and so need to clean it up.

Jonathan, I'm not sure I'm working the App correctly; the bolt could be a 9/16" head (correct for 3/8 thread) or 14mm (M10?)

The roll bar is one of these: http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=419; part number 59032U

Roger, if you could help, that'd be superb!  My wife is away with the normal car and the 7 currently has no rear shocks etc on it (as I am I the process of fitting a new roll bar!)  Are you around during the day tomorrow, say 2-2:30pm or so?

still not entirely sure of the size (didn't really get to grips with the app)...  that said, majority of replies is that it is a 3/8 UNF, so intend to work on the basis

if my schedule hadn't slipped, I would have been able to borrow the taps and dies from Roger and they should've helped me to confirm...  fingers crossed, will be able to get them on Monday.

nice chap at Caged said its either M10 or 3/8" *whistle*

nice chap in Twickenham (Roger Ford) has lent me both metric and Imperial taps and dies and the 3/8 cleaned out the dodgy email thread perfectly; both bolts run into both stumps nicely now! *thumbup*