Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brake light switch

rob spencer

• Support Team

I've just been in to the garage to see the car and start it up (doesn't get out much at the moment) and found that both brake lights don't work. I suspect the switch.

I have not looked yet, but how easy is it to get at the switch and is it a repairable thing or am I likely to need a new one?

Cheers

Rob

Rob, the question is, does the brake light switch fit in the brake pressure line, or, is it installed at the pedal fulcrum position?, if it's fitted to the brake line ON NO ACCOUNT TRY TO REPAIR IT, as you may well end up in the scenery with no brakes at the rear, if it's at the pedal end I'am afraid I can't assist. Some other more knowledgable scholar will probably help with the latter. Have fun, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

The pedal box switch can be repaired by carefully prising apart at the locking lugs with a small screwdriver.

Then after finding all the bits that have dropped on the floor you can clean the contacts and reassemble to see if you did indeed find all the bits and it works *wink*

I manage to get a temporary reprieve on my car with the hydraulic switch by standing as hard as I can on the brake pedal, this must partially clean the contacts as the pressure required to switch on the lights then falls within what is usually used on the road - for a while!

Edited by - J.R. on 20 Jan 2003 11:46:54

our SV has a button on the pedal type, convient and easy peasy to get to in the box...just don't short the wires or you get to get a fuse(s) as well *confused* there are two wires going to the brake fluid resovoir but i don't have a clue where they go do, and haven't chase dthem down

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Edited by - w1scb on 20 Jan 2003 15:11:20

• Support Team

thanks guys

I think I'll order a switch from caterham ready for the weekend, just in case. They're not much (less than £3 in the parts list I got from a thread on blatchat a few months ago).

ISTR the lights not working very briefly last summer, so it is quite likely to be a switch prob.

Don't fancy trying to reassemble the tiny springs and stuff if I take the old one apart. How do they get these things together in the first place? (you don't have to answer that one)

Rob