Click here if you are having website access problems ×

List 1B tyres

Cookie Monster

Probably been done to death & I've missed it but....

Blue book lists all but 1 tyre from list 1B as may be invalid from the end of this year. Not very helpful in my opinion as I need fresh rubber but don't want to spend the thick end of £400 on rubber for one year. 

What's the view here pls and what are other competitors doing?

Phil

The club will need to wait to see which tyres are classified as List 1b and List 1c and if list 1c tyres can be used in roadgoing classes. If both Khumo's and ZZR's end up at List 1c the club will need to decide if they can continue to be used otherwise I suspect all existing class records in classes 3-6 will be excluded for 2016 onwards which then impacts on how the overall champion is decided.  

As my ZZR's are now 4 years old I have replaced them for this year and hope they will be permitted next year.

I also will be looking to get a new set of ZZRs for this year,assuming they are still available...

SO will be looking to try and sell on my older set (2 seasons) at some point, so CookieMonster let me know if you are interested... probably looking at around the £160 mark for a set of 4 with loads of tread/lfe left.

rob

Looks like Toyo have a plan:

http://www.toyo.co.uk/page/index/identifier/1

My interpretation is that the existing R888 will go onto list 1C and not be road legal - and will be phased out. The new R888R (note the extra R) will be a List 1B tyre going forward. I can't find a list of the promised "32 sizes", but as Caterham/Westfield get a mention in the press release, I would assume 13s and 15s will be included. More interesting is whether the SG compound is also road legal/list 1B in suitable sizes.

If Avon and Kumho (or anyone else) don't produce a better road legal track tyre, his might be the one to go for in 2016. Assuming grip levels are between existing 1A (no bloody grip) and 1B (too much grip: need a dry sump on a K, not practical as a road tyre in soft compound IMHO) this might not be such a bad thing. I preferred my 7 on R888s on the road.

AB