Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TYRE SIZES

Guy Lowe

Did a search in the archives under “tyres” and spent the WHOLE day reading threads on the subject, but it has answered most of my questions.

I have recently bought a 1700XF S/Sprint which has 15” x 6½” Prisoner wheels and 195.50.15 Michelin Pilots. Completed in 1995 done 5000 miles and been in a garage for the last 5 years. The tyres are like new and boy are they hard, hence the “skittish” handling I suppose.

So the tyres have got to go, I will not be racing or doing tack days so I have decided (I think) to fit Yokohama A539’s, my question is should I fit 195.50.15’s or 205.50.15’s? and at what pressure (for road use) should they be run at and for the time being, what pressure should I put in the old Michelin’s ( I know, enough to blow them apart).

As you can probably tell I am new to all this and this is my first 7, so any help would be appreciated, must try and get to the Hants. (North) & Berks meeting at the end of the month.

Guy

Guy,

I have no experience of Sevens on 'Prisoner' wheels - but most folks on here seem to go with the the theory that unless you have huge power to contain, narrower tyres are better than phat ones. more nimble, more driftable, sharper steering etc.

so sticking with 195's would seem like a good idea. if you do insist on going up to 205's, just remember that you need to lower the side profile to compensate the new increased width. ie, the '50' part of your tyre size needs reduced, (to 45 likely) otherwise the overall diameter will be increased, and your speedo can read incorrectly and you may have rubbing problems.

as for pressures, Sevens run much lower pressures than normal 'tin-top' road cars (probably due to low weight, and need for grip?). lots of people talk about 16-22psi being good, and I myself run at at 20 (on 185/70/13 tyres).

hope this helps.

michelin road tyres are notoriusly crap in the wet, so until you get new yoko's you might want to keep the pressures fairly low to get some extra grip.

someone else with more knowledge will hopefully enlighten us as to a good 'prisoner 195/50' psi to use....

p.s Yoko A539 would seem like a good choice for a road tyre on a seven. lots of folks having good things to say about yokohama tyres...

Has anyone tried Toyo Proxes on a Seven though?? they dont come in 13's (suitable for my car) but they definately do come in 15's, and if thier performance in tin-top use is anything to go by they should be excellent!

v good vfm as well.

granteuk

Thanks for your help, think I will stick to 195's, The previous owner told my to run the Michelin's @ 30psi, and I thought the handling was good already!

Buy the way Toyo 195/50 R15 PXT1-S £35.95 here

Thanks - Guy

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 19 Jan 2003 18:58:46

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 19 Jan 2003 19:11:21

Yoko A021Rs are better but cost teice as much in 13" and don't last as long.

30 psi is WAY to high. try 18 as a starting point. if you're keen you can try raising it a few psi and seeing what happens and then lowering it etc. etc.

I expect the speedo is out anyway. so get the best tyres for the job and then calibrate the speedo. either by changing the DIP switches on the back (if its a new one) or just remember to add 10% etc.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Re: Michelin Pilot tyre pressures.

I've experimented a little over the last few months with just me in the car:

20psi - Quite skittish, feels like not much grip therefore too high.

18psi - better, a little light but more grip

15-16psi - I think this is the best for road. Steering is lightish (for a 7) and grip is good.

14psi -Steering feels very heavy and tyres feel like they are wobbly.

So, I think around 15-16psi is optimal for a 7. This is also what someone else suggested.

After an extended winding road the 16psi felt very good for grip and predictable (for a Pilot of course).

Same car as you. Yoko AO39s recommended and cheap at George Polley. Pressures, 18-20 is fine, bit of oversteer (or is it the right foot) with softer pressures.

This tyre performs in the wet as well apparently so is a good all rounder.

Let me know what you do.

When is it Summer?

A539 195/50 15 is a very good choice

I have them on my 1600 sprint

I have also 13" with 032 yoko but I keep them for track days

less comfort and certainly much grip on the dry but as I haven't found the limit of the A539 on the road .......

I use for every day use the A539

Granteuk

I have Toyo tyres on my 7 - I think they are 'F3 Proxies'. I bought it in November so most of the miles I have done have been in the wet - so I can't give much of a verdict or comparison to the Falken or Bridgestone tyres I had on my old car. So far so good though.

The previous owner sprinted the car successfully (Toyo are a list 1A tyre) so I imagine they are good - or as good as List 1A tyres get.

They are 13 inch - 185/60/13 front, 205/60/13 rears.

Jonathan

Edited by - JonathanG on 20 Jan 2003 11:06:27

I had Prisoners on my Supersport (before I crashed it and damaged all of them), with 195/50 Goodyear Eagles on them, which I didnt like at all. I was quoted £85 per corner for the same tyres from a local supplier, Polley's quoted me £100 per corner for 13" KN Minators with 185/70 Yokohama A021R's.

The advantage of '70s over '60s is the ride height remains the same and they are only £40 each. No doubt someone will be along to say they arent as good but there are a lot of people running '70s and I've not heard anyone complain about them

Guess which wheels and tyres went on it when it was rebuilt ...

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last

Edited by - Nick Woods on 20 Jan 2003 12:08:53