Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is "SPOTTED" dead?

CHRIS TODD

Speaking for myself, I seldom bother to check now that the forum front page doesn't flag when new posts have been made.  I don't bother posting spots any more either, as they seldom get a response.

The forum ain't what it used to be.  *tumbleweed*

BTW, what's happened to all the previous pages of spots.  Have they been archived in an effort to speed up the forum?

Mort - they are still there. There are 751 pages of spotted going back to when it was hived off on 24/2/2005 - so it is coming up to its 10th anniversary!

i suspect that you have the 'last updated' option set to one month or less - it is at the top left of the screen. 

Steve

• Area Representative

Interesting comments, I always thought that spotted as a seperate forum subject should be dropped. Remember when spotteds were in the chitchat forum? I think everything was all in one originally?

I've often thought that "for sale" and "wanted" should be combined too. You occasionally see somebody wanting something that's on the for sale section.

It's true that many members never visit Blatchat at all (gasp!). Also, one or two of our local members don't have Internet access at all (shock horror!)

I've often thought that "for sale" and "wanted" should be combined too. You occasionally see somebody wanting something that's on the for sale section.

I've seen the combination elsewhere and it's generally OK, but it occasionally falls down if/when a poster fails to indicate "for sale" or "wanted" in the subject line.

If I'm wanting something though, a trawl of the For Sale section is my first port of call. Always surprises me when other people wanting items clearly haven't done the same thing!

• Area Representative

Steve

I certainly lobbied to have "Spotted" separated from ChitChat, so blame me as much as anyone. I thought that the spotted threads clutktered the main forum, perticularly during the summer months. Even then, most went by without responses.
I think ChitChat is better without Spotted (just opinion, it isn't as though there is a wrong or right approach just differences)

GJT - taking spotted out of chitchat made sense at the time as there were a lot of posts, as you say. When the aggregated view came in it effectively reversed the change as they were all back in the one place again. 

Before any changes are made here, it is worth you playing around with the filters at the top of the new and updated tab - the left hand filter allows you to choose which forums you want to see, so if you don't want to know about spotteds, you can just turn it off!

i must admit that I like the new and updated view as it is much better than the old aggregated view:

• you can choose which fora to inclide
  • it shows you everything that you haven't read, not just posts since your last visit
  • you can choose how far back you want it to gather unread posts
  • yiu can go straight to the first unread post

Steve

*byebye*

Shame indeed! We came down past Uttoxeter to Barton-under-Needwood for a stop at the Red Carpet Cinema at the marina (excellent brunch, just what we needed), then in a vaguely direct line to, then around, Oxford (giving Oxford and its bypass / ring road a wide berth).

• Area Representative

Quoting Steve:-

"i must admit that I like the new and updated view as it is much better than the old aggregated view:

• you can choose which fora to inclide
  • it shows you everything that you haven't read, not just posts since your last visit
  • you can choose how far back you want it to gather unread posts
  • yiu can go straight to the first unread post"

I agree. 

As above I like the New & Updated view EXCEPT I find it very frustrating that if I view a thread (or contribute to one) it drops off the N&U view.

Quite often I'll think of something to add to a reply I've recently made, or a thread I just viewed, and I have to click 'forums' and then trawl through each individual forum to try to find the thread concerned.

For that reason I usually no longer bother *cry*