Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intermittent speedo fault

Meldrew

Silly question for you: my new R300 speedo has packed in after about 50 miles as a perverse welcome to Seven ownership.The needle now bats about spasmodically, works from time to time and then sulks. All the wires into the back of the speedo seem to be plugged in OK. I haven't got a build manual so I don't know where the speedo sensor comes out. Please can someone enlighten me as to where I'll find it to check if it's plugged in correcty at the gearbox?

Sorry to be a doofus, but I can't find it!

Thanks

this is EXACTLY what our new SV did last year. in the space of 2.5 months it ate 3 senders and two speedos. in fairness no one know why at the factory . in the end, the factory gave us a mechanical sender and speedo. problem solved.

the factory said we were an isolated incident, but i've since heard of similar failures

you can put an ohmeter on the sender which has a circular clip retaining it in. 7 odd ohms is a good ine, infinite is very bad thing.

also on the end of a drill very slowly to see if you get any pulse ...

we have about 10% variance reading higher than actual starting at about 50mph.

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

is it the cable driven mechanical speedo? ie if you look on the drivers side of the gearbox from under the car is there a wobbly lumpy metal thing hanging out the side (inch or so in size) 🤔 sorry to say this but the mechanical speedo is a pile of rubbish and mine fell out and broke so often i replaced it with a bike speedo.

if its a different type then i guess theres a sensor picking up off a magnet on a wheel or hub somewhere.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

rat race, and simon lambert are familar with my failures. in all fairness, no one could come up with *why* the failures.

you probably will get 1-3 replacements, and still may have the problem. IF you move to mechanical one, then you'll have to get someone to wire in the lights to them, which is a

5 minute job as it's all mechanical. even tried replacing BOTH speedo and sensor, that

worked on trial 3 for 80 miles *mad*

i've road tested, and keep meaning to put on decals indicating correct speed so i don't have to

think too hard about what speed am i doing. i will do this next, by road trialing against a known reference car. *cool*

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Edited by - w1scb on 20 Jan 2003 11:36:08