Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow cam identification

Westfield

Can anyone identify what a cam with the following marks on the face of the rear journal is?

It has M2 300 one side and HA the other. It also has a small p in a circle.

Any ideas before I go to the trouble of measuring lift and duration.

Thanks

Tony

Thanks for the reply. It’s a Piper 300 as confirmed by them when I rang. The power range is from 3000 to 8000 rpm with 310 duration and a 11.43mm lift. The timing is 51 / 79 inlet and 79 / 51 exhaust.

I think it’s much to wild for the purpose I had in mind which is a road based 1700cc engine with standard crank, rods and pistons. Any one like to comment on its suitability?

Looks like I will have to buy a Kent 234 or a Piper 285 which is what I had been told this was when I purchased the engine.

Anyone want to do a swap? Its in perfect condition only having done 1000 mile.

Thanks

Tony

Go on .... *eek*

I've got a Kent 264 which is a bit wild, but great fun 😬 I've also owned a Piper 285 which was nice for a road car, but I would recommend something a bit hairer - Kent 244, or 254 perhaps?

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Tony

I have a very good 234 with less than 10, 000 miles on it out of a very carefully used engine, I replaced it with a 244 when I put in the forged pistons etc. Your cam sounds like a great one for me to try if you would like to swap for the 234. To get the best out of a 244 you really need to do some work to the head etc.

Email me if you would like to swap!

Robster.

Hi Robster

I am in a dilemma what to do. The engine in my car at the moment has done 20k miles and is in need of a refresh

It produces around 110 at the wheels (130ish at flywheel I guess) and has a big valve head, piper 285 cam etc.

The plan is to build up my spare engine (bottom end) and then swap the engine over along with the head. I had a look today and found that the cam profile/lift of the 234 matched the 285 I currently have in. Looks like I will go for a 244 that is somewhat more hairy by the look of the profile.

I would swap for a 244 if you (or anyone else?) have one. The Piper 300 cam is in perfect condition and comes with matched followers.

Cheers

Tony