Click here if you are having website access problems ×

refitting split collets

Steve Ashurst 63

Am putting my head back together for the first time on a 16v VX engine. Can anyone please advise me the best way to refit the split collets as I can see this will result in me throwing things at the wall. There is no way I can get my fingers down to place them manually , I am thinking that a magnetic screw drive or piece of blu tack may be the way forward ? Any help greatfully received

Steve

Steve

*eek*

A fine bladed long screwdriver (6-7mm wide blade), lightly magnetised with a dab of grease on the blade.., stick the collet to the very end of the blade tip, some grease *inside* the collet will then help it to stick to the stem of the valve, too much magnetism on the blade will cause the screwdriver to pull the collet straight off again. This method has served me well for 100's of heads..

Oily

Steve

I use exactly the same method as OIly. Don'y use blue tack. Grease is all you need.

Take a look at my location. What a coincidence! I'm fiddling with my car today (Sunday). If you are stuck getting your head back together give me a call (01394 383499). If you are fairly close I can probably pop around and give you a hand.

AMMO